Curve-billed Thrasher Cottonwood
19 Dec 2007, 1:32 PM,
Curve-billed Thrasher Cottonwood
I saw two Curve-billed Thrashers and a couple of Cactus Wrens on some scrubland with mature catcus stands on the corner of Pallisade Drive and Peila Ave in Cottonwood, Sunday. One Thrasher showed up in the Cherry Hills Wash Wednesday. The wren was carrying material to a nest.

Also had a Northern Mockingbird in the wash today.

Stuart Doughty
20 Dec 2007, 8:21 PM,

CBTH is annual at best in the Verde, so two at once is exceptional. The sliver of habitat in that area is unique to the upper Verde though - its the only place where Cactus Wrens are always present. I can't think of any other spot that sports cholla as the dominant cactus.

How the birds find it is an interesting question, since it is perhaps only a couple of hundred acres in area.

Did these sightings get include in the Jerome CBC count week?
20 Dec 2007, 10:36 PM,

CBTH sightings were passed onto count compiler, together with two Catcus Wrens at that site and two more further up cherry hills wash (I'd seen four foraging together the previous day between the two sites). A pair of Wrens raised three young here this year.

I'd been scanning the location for some time Sunday as I suspected there was a Thrasher present from brief glimpses of a scuttling bird, when first one, then a second bird flew up to a nearby Juniper and perched for a while.

I first saw CBTH in the area in early October 06 when one bird was chasing another in a display that appeared to be a juvenile begging food from an adult. Seemed a bit late for that activity.
18 Sep 2008, 7:50 PM,

Resurrecting an old post here for relevancy.

I have been working for the last week not far from this location - only a block or two away at the end of Mountain View (the continuation of 8th St beyond Fir). I have heard CBTH calling every day, so they would seem to be still present (resident?) in this neighborhood.

There isn't any immediate cholla that I have seen, but its hot stoney mesquite scrubland.
19 Sep 2008, 10:17 AM,
Breeders
Another area that may be worth checking for breeding CBTH would be Hwy 179 between I17 and Village of Oak Creek. Lots of desert scrub and I've heard one calling there before.
Cheers
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curve-billed Thrasher in Flagstaff Tom Linda 7 791 30 Dec 2018, 1:43 PM
Last Post: tblows
  cottonwood lark bonanza richarmstrong 0 1,190 25 Apr 2015, 5:48 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  bell's sparrow cottonwood richarmstrong 0 1,179 8 Jan 2015, 10:35 AM
  Olive-sided Flycatcher in Cottonwood Curt Fultz 2 2,328 12 May 2014, 6:57 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  possible cottonwood cackling goose richarmstrong 2 2,068 29 Jan 2014, 11:02 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  cottonwood greater white-fronted geese richarmstrong 1 1,683 16 Dec 2013, 7:02 PM
Last Post: Roger
  cottonwood field trip richarmstrong 3 2,061 3 Nov 2013, 12:47 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Snow Geese in Cottonwood? Curt Fultz 1 1,492 22 Mar 2013, 4:48 PM
  Sedona % Cottonwood: Another White-throated Sparrow! gbotello 0 1,289 16 Feb 2013, 8:40 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Swamp Sparrow in Cottonwood Chuck LaRue 1 1,575 15 Jan 2013, 2:01 PM