California Quail, Magnolia Warbler, Northern Waterthrush
16 May 2009, 4:53 PM,
California Quail, Magnolia Warbler, Northern Waterthrush
At Wenima Wildlife Area near Springerville (Apache County) this am. I flushed two California Quail near the small pond on the trail that starts at the picnic table. On my return walk back to the trailhead I flushed them again in the same area. After birding along the south trail I heard them calling as I made my way to the parking area. I saw two Cal Quail on May 10 and figured it was a fluke and I wouldn't see them again. I haven't seen California Quail at Wenima before and haven't seen them for several years. Hopefully they will stay around.

The Northern Waterthrush was near the boxelder tree that has a bench under it. There is an interpretive sign before you get to the tree. This is along the same trail (can't remember the name, there weren't any trails when I started birding here).

The Magnolia Warbler was several hundred yards from the picnic table in an area where the willows are very tall, then there is an interpretive sign and the trail jogs to the right. I didn't get a great look at this bird. It was pretty deep into the willows. I never saw the head, nor the throat area. The underside was bright yellow with black streaks (but I don't think as bold as a male would be). Got a good look at the underside of the tail, with it's distinctive pattern that looks like the bottom was dipped in black paint.

Birding has been pretty mundane here up until today. Some other sightings:

Dusky Grouse near the Big Lake Lookout (FR 249D)

Red Crossbills on FR 85 about 2.5 miles from 273, and also above the 3 Forks bridge near an old burn on FR 249. Also an Olive-sided Flycatcher was calling here.

Red-faced Warblers along the trail above South Fork Campground; Benny Creek and Butler Canyon Nature Trail (Greer). Also at Butler were Williamson's & Red-naped Sapsuckers.

Black Phoebe is back at the bridge at Benny Creek in Greer.

Gray Catbird at Sipe Wildlife Area (across from the visitor center)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walnut Canyon Ponds: Northern Waterthrush & Black-necked Stilts jawilder 8 271 11 Sep 2018, 9:42 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Chevelon Crossing area: Montezuma Quail in Coconino County jawilder 0 100 18 Aug 2018, 1:18 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Ashurst Lake: Forster's Tern, California Gull, Clark's Grebes jawilder 1 167 27 May 2018, 11:34 AM
  Gambel's quail rachelmm 5 276 12 May 2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  Cameron: Worm-eating Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler, Gray Catbird, N. Waterthrush jawilder 2 246 9 May 2018, 11:44 AM
  Cameron: Hooded Warbler, Northern Waterthrush, etc jawilder 0 150 3 May 2018, 12:01 PM
  Northern Waterthrush John Hildebrand 0 492 3 Sep 2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: John Hildebrand
  Northern Waterthrush at Picture Canyon tshedwall 1 584 31 Aug 2017, 9:49 PM
Last Post: Katbird
  Nesting California Condors at Navajo Bridge Troy Corman 0 695 13 Jun 2017, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Troy Corman
  Cameron, 7 May: Northern Waterthrush jawilder 0 616 7 May 2017, 9:23 AM