Many Farms Lake
21 Mar 2010, 10:47 PM,
Many Farms Lake
Yesterday (3/20/10) while driving back to AZ from a family trip to Colorado and Utah, we stopped by Many Farms Lake on the Navajo Rez in the late afternoon. Nothing unusual, but it was nice to see our FOS American White Pelicans and a large flock (75+) of American Robins coming in to roost in the Russian-olives along Chinle Wash. Here is our list:

Canada Goose
Green-winged Teal
Northern Pintail
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Common Merganser
Common Goldeneye
Ruddy Duck
American White Pelican (11)
American Coot
Common Raven
American Robin (75+)
European Starling
House Finch

Due to the relative proximity to AZ, I figure I'll mention a couple of interesting sightings from a little further north, if anyone is headed to Colorado or Utah anytime soon:
**Short-eared Owl: I spotted one 3/19 perched on a post in an agricultural field along Hwy. 491 on the eastern outskirts of Monticello, Utah (this is 50+ miles south of Moab).
**Brown-capped Rosy-Finch: we found one at feeders 3/18 about 1 mile off the highway along La Plata Canyon Rd. 10 miles west of Durango, Colorado (this location is mentioned on the "birding by county" link on the Colorado Field Ornithologists' website). According to the website, all three rosy-finch species can be found at this location in winter.

Good birding!!!
Eric Hough
thebirdwhisperer22@yahoo.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sandhill Cranes at Many Farms Lake jawilder 1 426 30 Nov 2017, 4:42 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Many Farms Lake DRY !!! DaveBriddon 1 1,402 17 Jul 2013, 4:44 AM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Many Farms Lake gull and terns Mark Stevenson 0 1,063 9 Sep 2008, 2:43 PM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Prothontary Warbler in Cameron and shorebirds at Many Farms Lake Chuck LaRue 0 1,162 19 May 2007, 9:59 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue