Willow Flycatchers at Cameron Seep, plus Little Elden Spring
10 May 2010, 9:39 AM,
Willow Flycatchers at Cameron Seep, plus Little Elden Spring
BB Oros and I visited Cameron yesterday morning and it was a fine morning for biridng. The seep itself was pretty quiet which I suspect is due to all the water flowing in the Little Colorado River, but we did locate the Northern Waterthrush that Jason reported. The tamarisk surrounding the seep was very lively with Virginias, Wilsons, Yellow, Black-throated Gray, Yellow-rumped and Common Yellow-throat Warblers. I got really excited when I saw what looked like a male Magnolia Warbler by the old bridge but couldn't locate it again - there were lots of Audubon's types around, so it most likely was one of those. A single N. Mockingbird was singing when we arrived and a single Cooper's Hawk patrolled the area.

Flycatchers were evident with Olive-sided, Ash-throated, Gray, and Willow Flycatchers (2) chasing each other and several Western Kingbird.

The courtyard was pretty windy, but we found a group of Yellow-headed Blackbird sitting high up, along with 3 Brown-headed Cowbird. Odd because I've been watching blackbirds chasing cowbirds constantly at Kachina and these guys were just chillin together.

Rimmy Jim was mostly dry, with a single coot, 1 Spotted Sandpiper and a nice male N. Harrier.

Little Elden was pretty quiet by the time we got there and the wind was pretty strong. Still, we found 2 very nice Red-faced Warblers, a silent Cordilliran Flycatcher, 2 Plumbeous Vireo and a Mountain Bluebird.
Cheers
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Elden Spring to Schultz Tank Tom Linda 0 190 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Cameron: Spring 2018 jawilder 13 938 5 Jun 2018, 2:16 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Dusky Flycatchers near Elden Spring jawilder 1 192 14 May 2018, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Meteor Crater & Buffalo Range Rd: Montane species, interesting flycatchers jawilder 2 638 6 Oct 2017, 1:35 PM
Last Post: sleeper
  Early migrant flock near Elden Spring jawilder 2 891 18 Aug 2017, 1:39 PM
  Willow Flycatchers and Virginia Rails on Granite Creek in Prescott, Yavapai Co. fplguerrero 0 679 4 Jul 2017, 7:41 AM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Lesser Nighthawks at Cameron Seep jawilder 0 517 22 Jun 2017, 9:33 PM
  Elden Spring: not many migrants...Calliope Hummingbird jawilder 1 1,192 11 Sep 2016, 10:47 AM
  Elden Spring: Mystery bird jawilder 1 1,022 6 Sep 2016, 6:49 PM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Elden Spring Tom Linda 8 2,427 19 Aug 2016, 7:51 AM
Last Post: tshedwall