9/2/11 Page, AZ Parasitic Jaeger, Long-billed Curlew, and Short-billed Dowitchers
2 Sep 2011, 7:05 PM,
9/2/11 Page, AZ Parasitic Jaeger, Long-billed Curlew, and Short-billed Dowitchers
Today (9/2/11), I began birding in Page and wasn't able to go anywhere else. First checked the Sewage Ponds and had a continuing Wood Duck and two Short-billed Dowitchers. Based on tertial pattern, one of them was from last weekend and the other is new. Is tertial pattern based on subspecies? One has vertical tan stripes and the other has horizontal barring.

Afterwards, I checked Lake Powell expecting nothing like every other weekend but found a lot of birds. Had about 30 Snowy Egrets, 4 Cattle Egrets, 20 Avocet, 6 small white terns maybe Forster's, 9 Marbled Godwits, a Long-billed Curlew, an Osprey, 10 Great Blue Herons, flocks of swallows, and a PARASITIC JAEGER. This is more birds than I have seen total for every weekend of the summer. All this was in the AZ portion and I did spend about 4 hours looking.

The Jaeger was seen from the second pull off as you go toward Wahweap. I watched it in poor lighting for about 20 minutes until it flew north and west into UT. I chased it but could not relocate it in about 4 hrs of searching. The bird made a few flights and a weak attempt at chasing the terns. The lighting was poor but the bird looked like a dark juv./subadult Parasitic. Most of my id is based on shape and flight style from experience looking at fall jaegers on Lake Superior at Superior, WI. Parasitics are the most common jaeger there and this had the shape and flight I am used to seeing. I saw nothing that would make me consider the other two.

I have attached two poor photos of the jaeger, Short-billed Dowitchers, and one of the Long-billed Curlew(left bird) with Marbled Godwits. Also posted photos of last weeks Semipalmated Sandpiper, Short-billed Dowitchers, and Neotropic Cormorant in the corresponding posts.

Any thoughts on the jaeger photos?

Shaun Putz
Marble Canyon, AZ

[file]11633[/file] [file]11635[/file] [file]11637[/file] [file]11639[/file]

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Curve-billed Thrasher in Flagstaff Tom Linda 7 397 30 Dec 2018, 1:43 PM
Last Post: tblows
  Rivoli's Hummingbird (Edit: Broad-billed Hummingbird) Tee Dub 1 387 9 Jun 2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Tee Dub
  Broad-billed Hummingbird - Clarkdale Roger 0 419 19 Sep 2017, 9:11 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Short-billed Dowitcher, etc at Ashurst jawilder 2 807 16 Sep 2017, 2:22 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Dowitchers at Ashurst Lake Katbird 2 862 25 Aug 2017, 7:32 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Yellow-billed Cuckoo along Willow Creek in Prescott, Yavapai Co. fplguerrero 2 989 29 Jul 2017, 6:36 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Whiteriver GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS, Yellow-billed Cuckoo erh36 0 659 24 Jul 2017, 8:23 AM
Last Post: erh36
  apache county yellow-billed cuckoo donna 0 570 23 Jul 2017, 8:53 PM
Last Post: donna
  Coconino County Yellow-billed Cuckoo Tom Linda 2 1,266 18 Jun 2017, 6:06 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  unexpected Kingbird at Frances Short Pond - Thick-billed Kingbird Zack Zdinak 22 6,726 29 Nov 2016, 4:08 PM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue