Black-chinned sparrows on Mt. Elden
7 May 2012, 10:09 AM,
Black-chinned sparrows on Mt. Elden
Inspired by Eric's post about BCSPs in Show Low I scrambled this morning up to the south-facing slopes of Mt. Elden, where I have found a small population of apparently-breeding BCSPs in the past several years. I'm happy to report that the birds were easy enough to find (easy, that is, once I committed to scrambling up several hundred feet across steep rocks and through excruciatingly scratchy brush). I found several individuals, including a male & female interacting in what I can only assume is a courtship-type behavior (see photo below!). At one point several males were singing simultaneously. Given the amount of available habitat up there, I'm guessing there could be quite a few individuals present (10s probably), although it is very difficult terrain to survey.

The National Audubon Society has given BCSP "red" status on its watchlist because of recent severe declines in breeding bird surveys and loss of habitat. As such, its valuable to know that we have a breeding population right here within the Flagstaff city limits.

Other birds today included Townsend's, Orange-crowned, Black-throated Gray, Virginia's, and Yellow-rumped Warblers; Cassin's and Plumbeous Vireos, Lazuli Bunting, and Pinyon Jays.

Male and female, with the male showing off:

Habitat shot of the area where the BCSPs can be found on Mt. Elden

Jason
7 May 2012, 7:09 PM,
RE: Black-chinned sparrows on Mt. Elden
Nice photos, Jason! By the way, I had a singing Hermit Thrush yesterday a bit west of Elden Spring, near the bitter cherry glade.

Ron
17 May 2019, 7:29 AM,
Earlier this week, on 5/14/19, I was happy to hear a singing Black-chinned Sparrow just above the base of Mt. Elden about a half mile east of Elden Spring. These birds tend to prefer the difficult-to-access habitat up on the rocks on Mt. Elden's south-facing slopes, and I believe breed up there regularly, as my post above from 2012 describes.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
17 May 2019, 8:03 AM,
(17 May 2019, 7:29 AM)jawilder Wrote: Go Jason!

I had a Black-chinned Sparrow in the early fall, a few years ago, right along the trail about a 1/2 a mile east of the spring.

Gary
17 May 2019, 5:37 PM,
What a great action photo, Jason!
21 May 2019, 3:40 PM,
Agreed. I don't ever recall seeing a photo quite like that, and certainly not of this species.
21 May 2019, 5:02 PM,
This is the closest picture I can find to the behavior in that photo, and it's definitely a different species!

Wink
Jason
31 May 2019, 12:41 PM,
A Black-chinned Sparrow was singing lustily this morning (31 May, 2019) east of Elden Spring, and clearly audible from the trail along the base of the mountain. The specific location was within a few hundred feet of the telephone wires that run up to the summit of Mt. Elden. If memory serves me correctly, this is very near the location where the pictures up above were taken in 2012.

Jason

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black-chinned Hummingbird Roger 2 164 24 Mar 2019, 7:14 AM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  Black-chinned Hummingbird: Elden 4/9/18 gbotello 0 248 9 Apr 2018, 12:20 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Black-chinned Hummingbird--Desert View Canyonbirder 9 908 6 Apr 2018, 7:59 PM
Last Post: Roger
  FOS Black-chinned Hummingbird Roger 1 456 16 Mar 2018, 8:50 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Black-chinned Hummingbird, South Rim Canyonbirder 6 2,368 22 Mar 2017, 8:14 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Leupp Road Black-chinned Sparrow Tom Linda 1 1,284 20 May 2016, 3:18 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Elden Spring & Vicinity: Black-chinned Sparrows, Painted Redstarts, etc jawilder 0 1,923 10 May 2014, 9:18 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Black-Chinned Hummer Kimbo25 0 1,126 22 Mar 2014, 4:30 PM
Last Post: Kimbo25
  Black-chinned Hummingbird Roger 3 1,674 17 Mar 2014, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  slow news day...Black-chinned Hummingbird jawilder 1 1,435 2 Jul 2013, 10:28 AM
Last Post: Phyllis Kegley