Wilson Meadow: High Country Birds 6/9/12
10 Jun 2012, 2:33 PM,
Wilson Meadow: High Country Birds 6/9/12
I spent a great morning at Wilson Meadow of Hwy 151 on 6/9/12.

The birding was slow, but steady. Green-tailed Towhees were singing all around me, but I saw only two MacGillivray's Warblers.

One thing lacking were flycatchers. Usually I see several species there this time of year. The only thing I saw was one Western Wood-Pewee.

The Aspen groves were not as active as usual, also.

The coolest thing was seeing a Porcupine in a small grove of tees in the meadow. I never realized that they have those 2 red buck teeth. This is only the second time that I have seen one in the wild, but this was the closest that I have ever been to one!

A full list for the morning:

16 species

Broad-tailed Hummingbird 3
Western Wood-Pewee 1
American Crow 2
Violet-green Swallow 12
Barn Swallow 6
House Wren 1
Western Bluebird 6
Mountain Bluebird 1
American Robin 6
MacGillivray's Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Green-tailed Towhee 10
Vesper Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 (This was a first for me at this location. It was singing away, so it looks like it intends to breed here this summer. According to the Arizona Breeding Atlas, this appears to be a fine AZ habitat for that.)
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 1

Gary
(10 Jun 2012, 2:33 PM)gbotello Wrote: I spent a great morning at Wilson Meadow of Hwy 151 on 6/9/12.

The birding was slow, but steady. Green-tailed Towhees were singing all around me, but I saw only one MacGillivray's Warbler.

One thing lacking were flycatchers. Usually I see several species there this time of year. The only thing I saw was one Western Wood-Pewee.

The Aspen groves were not as active as usual, also.

The coolest thing was seeing a Porcupine in a small grove of tees in the meadow. I never realized that they have those 2 red buck teeth. This is only the second time that I have seen one in the wild, but this was the closest that I have ever been to one!

A full list for the morning:

16 species

Broad-tailed Hummingbird 3
Western Wood-Pewee 1
American Crow 2
Violet-green Swallow 12
Barn Swallow 6
House Wren 1
Western Bluebird 6
Mountain Bluebird 1
American Robin 6
MacGillivray's Warbler 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 2
Green-tailed Towhee 10
Vesper Sparrow 1
Lincoln's Sparrow 1 (This was a first for me at this location. It was singing away, so it looks like it intends to breed here this summer. According to the Arizona Breeding Atlas, this appears to be a fine AZ habitat for that.)
Dark-eyed Junco 1
Black-headed Grosbeak 1

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

10 Jun 2012, 2:48 PM,
RE: Wilson Meadow: High Country Birds 6/9/12
I've been up there a few times lately and, like you, am wondering where the dusky flycatchers are? They've always been regular there in the past, but I haven't seen a single one this year. This is (was?) the southern limit of their range, so I wonder if the ever-increasing temperatures have finally caused this declining stand of Bebb willows to no longer be suitable habitat?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Country Birding gbotello 0 125 13 May 2018, 6:55 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  New Year's tour of San Francisco Peaks high country jawilder 1 460 2 Jan 2018, 5:41 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  red fox sparrow - Little Spring and white-winged junco - Wilson Meadow apellegrini 8 999 29 Nov 2017, 7:54 AM
Last Post: apellegrini
  unusual grosbeak, Wilson Meadow sleeper 9 2,610 25 May 2017, 2:53 PM
Last Post: sleeper
  Wilson Meadow 5/20/17 gbotello 0 511 20 May 2017, 9:08 PM
  Wilson Meadow 5/13/17 gbotello 0 576 13 May 2017, 8:59 PM
  Geese at Continental Country Club Flagstaff Katbird 26 6,433 22 Dec 2016, 9:48 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  White goose at Country club tblows 1 890 6 Dec 2016, 5:31 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  Greater Roadrunner in Country Club, Flagstaff Cactospiza 0 806 18 Sep 2016, 2:34 PM
Last Post: Cactospiza
  Wilson Meadow 6/11/16 gbotello 0 712 11 Jun 2016, 9:08 PM