Flagstaff: Black-chinned hummingbird (slow news day...)
26 Jun 2012, 4:34 PM,
Flagstaff: Black-chinned hummingbird (slow news day...)
This is admittedly of pretty limited interest, but for lack of anything more newsworthy to report, in the past week I've had a male Black-chinned Hummingbird at my feeders in Swiss Manor (East Flagstaff). In past years Black-chinned Hummingbirds have not summered in my immediate neck of the woods, and June has pretty much been the only month when Broad-tailed Hummingbirds have the run of the place. The BCHU seems to co-exist with the BTHUs (I've got about 3-4 that routinely use my feeders) without conflict - quite a contrast to the ruckus that develops when the Rufous Hummingbirds arrive in early July!

Jason
Spending a little time on my back porch this afternoon I've realized that there are actually 2 male Black-chinned hummingbirds using my feeders! Most years Black-chinned ties with Calliope for sparsest hummingbird at my feeders (after Broad-tailed, Rufous, and Annas - still waiting for a 6th hummer species to show up!).

Jason
27 Jun 2012, 12:35 PM,
RE: Flagstaff: Black-chinned hummingbird (slow news day...)
Interesting that you should mention this Jason, because I had a female Black-chinned Hummingbird (I am pretty sure) in my yard on June 25. This is only the second time that I have had one in my yard (the other being a male in the spring a few years ago).

Despite the dismal bird situation in my yard this summer, it has been a good year for hummingbird diversity. I have had Broad-tailed, Anna's (male and females), and now a Black-chinned. I too, await a 6th hummer species in my yard, as well. Bring on those Rufous (and maybe a Calliope or two)!

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

27 Jun 2012, 12:47 PM,
Hi Gary,
Well, I'm glad someone found this post interesting! One useful field-mark for Black-chinned Hummingbirds is their persistent tail pumping behavior as they feed - its really quite unique and works for both sexes (I think I was first made aware of it from Kauffman's Advanced Birding, but I could be wrong). Once you recognize the behavior it distinguished BCHUs very quickly.

Jason
27 Jun 2012, 1:57 PM,
the bill looks a little short on Gary's BCHU, maybe a juvenile?
27 Jun 2012, 6:34 PM,
I saw a house finch a few minutes ago (keeping with the "slow news day" theme).
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
28 Jun 2012, 6:14 AM,
Gary,
The pale tips on the upperpart feathers mark your hummingbird as a juvenile. It looks too stocky, though, for Black-chinned, and the bill is short as Brian pointed out. Female and juvenile hummingbirds are tough, but it looks like an Anna's to me.

Keep an eye out for the tail-pumping behavior Jason describes for Black-chinned; Anna's hold their tails fairly still while hovering.

Lauren
28 Jun 2012, 8:19 AM,
Well, it certainly could be an Anna's, I guess. There have been enough of them around my yard this summer.

Unfortunately, it did not feed while it was in the yard. After it perched on that tree, it flew off and I haven't seen it since. I will keep an eye out for it.

Gary

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good News! gbotello 0 128 10 Jul 2018, 3:53 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Rivoli's Hummingbird (Edit: Broad-billed Hummingbird) Tee Dub 1 270 9 Jun 2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Tee Dub
  Flagstaff Calliope Hummingbird jawilder 0 122 20 May 2018, 6:47 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Flagstaff Calliope hummingbird burger 0 121 24 Apr 2018, 3:46 PM
Last Post: burger
  Black-chinned Hummingbird: Elden 4/9/18 gbotello 0 147 9 Apr 2018, 12:20 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Black-chinned Hummingbird--Desert View Canyonbirder 9 483 6 Apr 2018, 7:59 PM
Last Post: Roger
  FOS Black-chinned Hummingbird Roger 1 270 16 Mar 2018, 8:50 AM
  Ruby-throated hummingbird Flagstaff burger 2 725 15 Oct 2017, 3:48 PM
Last Post: burger
  Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Flagstaff jawilder 0 350 9 Oct 2017, 6:18 PM
  FW: Blue-throated Hummingbird in Flagstaff - EDIT: it's a Rivoli's Hummingbird jawilder 1 703 7 Sep 2017, 6:41 PM