Bobolink and Brown Thrasher, East Flagstaff
6 May 2013, 4:01 PM,
Bobolink and Brown Thrasher, East Flagstaff
Some of you may know Craig Priest, a bird watcher in Doney Park. He had me over this morning to, hopefully, see a male BOBOLINK that just showed up yesterday at his feeder, and a continuing BROWN THRASHER that's been frequenting his yard since November. He had seen them both today before I arrived at 9 am. Within the hour, both came back for seconds. Below are a few low res photos. He's up for showing other birders but doesn't post on the forum; contact me if you need his phone.

Nice selection of birds at his feeders and water this morning: Northern Flicker, a Lewis's Woodpecker (who chased the Bobolink and Thrasher off the feeder several times), Broad-tailed Hummingbird, Black-chinned Hummingbird, Scrub Jay (one on nest, 4' high in a Scotch Pine by the house), Pinyon Jay, Northern Mockingbird, American Robin, Brown Thrasher, White-throated Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Bullock's Oriole, Bobolink, Red Crossbill, Spotted Towhee, Black-headed Grosbeak, Pine Siskin, House Finch.

Attached Files Image(s)

7 May 2013, 7:33 PM,
RE: Bobolink and Brown Thrasher, East Flagstaff
Bea Cooley and I went to Craig's place this morning hoping to see the birds Zach had reported yesterday. We were welcomed with good news - Craig had seen the Bobolink earlier in the day and we waited in anticipation. Sadly the bad news arrived. A Sharp-shinned Hawk came through and we were treated with birdless feeders for the next hour. We enjoyed Black-chinned Hummingbirds, Rufous-sided Towhees and Black-headed Grosbeaks but no Brown Thrasher or Bobolink before it was time to return to our other commitments.

Craig tells me that the Bobolink was back soon after we left! Thanks to Craig for his hospitality.
8 May 2013, 3:53 PM,
RE: Bobolink and Brown Thrasher, East Flagstaff
1. craig was gracious enough to let terry blows, bea cooley, & i visit his wonderful yard this morning.
2. bea spotted the BOBOLINK and it cooperated nicely in a close bush.
3. no thrasher this morning.
4. great yard with lewis' woodpecker and most of what zack listed before.
5. thanks to craig for sharing his birds!!!
richarmstrong
928-282-3675

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black and Brown Crow Akitaslvr 26 29,706 23 Jan 2019, 6:35 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Curve-billed Thrasher in Flagstaff Tom Linda 7 624 30 Dec 2018, 1:43 PM
Last Post: tblows
  brown thrasher at dead horse richarmstrong 0 175 28 Apr 2018, 2:08 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Snow Goose - East Flagstaff golf course John Coons 0 543 2 Dec 2017, 4:14 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  Meteor Crater: Brown Thrasher, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creepers, etc jawilder 9 1,558 11 Oct 2017, 8:41 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Lots of shorebird activity east of Flagstaff jawilder 0 571 19 Aug 2017, 11:26 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Brown Thrasher, Chavez Pass Rd ebonyraven 0 651 22 Jun 2017, 2:49 PM
Last Post: ebonyraven
  Some birds just east of Flagstaff burger 0 620 16 Apr 2017, 2:03 PM
Last Post: burger
  East of Flagstaff: 7 warblers, cattle egret, etc jawilder 0 773 13 Apr 2017, 11:23 AM
  Anna's Hummingbird, East Flagstaff jawilder 3 2,070 30 Mar 2017, 9:53 AM