Other Northern Arizona CBC reports
11 Jan 2014, 2:47 PM,
Other Northern Arizona CBC reports
Here are the reports of 2013 Christmas Bird Count in northern AZ that I haven't seen posted here. I talked with or got email reports from the compellers, and added data from the National Audubon records, http://birds.audubon.org/data-research

Pipe Spring CBC
December 13
Andrea Bornemeier
On the Arizona northern borderlands with Utah, Andrea conducted her long-running CBC with three birders at Pipe Spring National Monument and up the road little in Moccasin, AZ (on Kaibab Paiute Tribal land). It was a really beautiful day, as Andrea laments, “I usually have the most luck when the weather is nasty!” The 25 species tallied were of usual winter birds plus two new species – a Great Horned Owl and a single female Ring-necked Duck (There’s a very small pond beneath the spring.) After talking with her, I looked up her count records - she didn't tell me she also had 4 Black-capped Chickadee in Arizona, 1 Green-tailed Towhee and 6 Black-throated Sparrow.

Mormon Lake CBC
December 14
Elaine Morrall
Out in the Mormon Lake CBC circle Elaine Morrall had seven birders to help tally up 29 usual winter species including several Bald Eagles, 2 Ferruginous Hawks, 10 Red-tailed Hawks, 8 Wild Turkey, and a whopping 28 White-breasted Nuthatches.

Timber Mesa CBC
December, 21, 2013
I'm waiting to hear from Mary Ellen with White Mountain Audubon Society. I'll edit her report in soon.

Glen Canyon CBC
Jan. 4
John Spence reported a slow count - only 70 species + 6 CW. That's around their typical low. "All the common species such as house finch, house sparrow and Eurasian collared dove were in really low numbers - probably due to the week of snow cover combined with fog and clouds that may have caused a lot of mortality." In his email, he listed the best birds as a flock of 9 Cedar Waxwings in Page, a Northern Saw-whet Owl at Greenehaven (CW only) and a Virginia Rail on the river at -9 mile marsh. Looking at the CBC data online, they had lower than average of some species, but they still found 3 Horned Grebe, 2 Wood Duck, 26 Greater Scaup, 2 Barrow's Goldeneye, 1 Red-breasted Merganser and 1 White-winged Dove.
12 Jan 2014, 8:28 PM,
RE: Other Northern Arizona CBC reports
I have the final numbers for the Flagstaff: Mt Elden CBC. A total of 66 species were seen - down from 79 last year. (The record of 80 species dates from 2004; the low from the past decade is 63.)

We had record numbers of Red-tailed Hawks (31), American Kestrels (9), Hairy Woodpeckers (25), Cedar Waxwing (50), Yellow-rumped Warblers (12) and Evening Grosbeaks (80). A Say's Phoebe was the first ever - the count has been going for over 40 years.

A number of other notable sightings were posted soon after the count itself: http://azbird.net/sightings/showthread.php?tid=6911

Thanks to all who participated.
26 Jan 2014, 8:58 AM,
RE: Other Northern Arizona CBC reports
Timber Mesa CBC
Dec. 21, 2013
Mary Ellen Bitdorff of White Mountain Audubon Society called to report about their cold CBC back in December. Even with most lakes around ShowLow and Pinetop-Lakeside frozen (Jaques Marsh had open water), 11 birders found 57 species including 1 Osprey, 1 Wilson's Snipe, 4 Common Goldeneye, 1 Belted Kingfisher and 25 Lewis's Woodpeckers. Their data is not yet on CBC website this morning, Jan. 26, 2014.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Above-the-Rim Bridled Titmouse reports jawilder 5 420 12 Jan 2018, 6:29 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  sedona reports richarmstrong 1 512 6 Apr 2016, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Ovenbird at Museum of Northern Arizona jawilder 0 935 11 Jun 2014, 9:18 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Willow Bend - northern parula, northern waterthrush jdgrahame 0 882 20 May 2011, 2:45 PM
Last Post: jdgrahame
  Submit Spring Sightings to AZFO Seasonal Reports DFJenness 0 1,055 3 Jun 2008, 9:20 PM
Last Post: DFJenness
  North American Birds Spring 2008 Season AZ Reports Solicited Mark Stevenson 0 995 1 Jun 2008, 9:31 AM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Submit Winter Sightings to AZFO Seasonal Reports DFJenness 1 1,118 1 Mar 2008, 6:12 AM
  AZFO Seasonal Reports Project Mark Stevenson 0 684 6 Dec 2007, 5:19 AM
  Request for Summer Season reports for "North American Birds" Mark Stevenson 0 784 1 Aug 2007, 8:29 AM
  Calliope Hummingbird at Museum of Northern Arizona knowa 0 811 9 Aug 2006, 6:28 PM
Last Post: knowa