Elden Spring: Virginia's Warbler, Bushtits
7 Apr 2014, 9:26 AM,
Elden Spring: Virginia's Warbler, Bushtits
A fine way to start my Monday was my FOS Virginia's Warbler near Elden Spring this morning. The bird was chipping loudly (but not singing) near the mouth of the canyon just to the west of the spring. I've been attentive for the presence of VIWAs on my last few trips to the spring, and hadn't detected any as recently as Saturday, 5 April. This compares with arrival dates of 4/4 in 2013 and 4/8 in 2012. As an aside, recent news reports from the Boulder Fire have been calling the canyon just west of Elden Spring "Paradise Canyon" - I can't find any support for that name on USGS maps (and hadn't heard it before). Does this name sound familiar to anyone else?

Very near the spring was a mixed flock containing 1 Yellow-rumped Warber, lots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and also a small group of Bushtits (near the spring). While not unusual, Bushtits are only reported around Elden Spring sporadically and with no discernible seasonal pattern.

Also, perusing eBird reports I see one from yesterday noting a Zone-tailed Hawk at Elden Spring - a good report! There are only a handful of sightings of this species near the spring. In my yard yesterday (very near Elden Spring) I had a male Williamson's Sapsucker, which may represent a spring arrival.

Jason

7 Apr 2014, 1:45 PM,
RE: Elden Spring: Virginia's Warbler, Bushtits
Jason - re the name "Paradise Canyon"...my guess is that it comes from the nearby Paradise Springs on the southwest edge of Mt. Elden (shown as "Paradies Spring" on a 1962 USGS Quadrangle), perhaps from conflating the smaller canyons that arise near Devil's Head and Devil's Chair (the drainages of which merge near Paradise Spring) with the larger canyon near Elden Spring, or perhaps from someone taking a quick look at a map, seeing the nearby name "Paradise Spring," and just going for it.

Ron
7 Apr 2014, 1:57 PM,
For what its worth, the Arizona Daily Sun ran an article a few weeks ago in which they referred to "Paradise Valley" as the valley between Mount Elden and Buffalo Park (which would ultimately drain Paradise Spring), which is accessible via Paradise Road - all of which lies about 2 miles west of "Paradise Canyon". As if having to contend with Elden Spring versus Little Elden Spring wasn't trouble enough...now we apparently have Paradise Valley and Paradise Canyon.
10 Apr 2014, 9:45 AM,
(7 Apr 2014, 9:26 AM)jawilder Wrote: A fine way to start my Monday was my FOS Virginia's Warbler near Elden Spring this morning. The bird was chipping loudly (but not singing) near the mouth of the canyon just to the west of the spring. I've been attentive for the presence of VIWAs on my last few trips to the spring, and hadn't detected any as recently as Saturday, 5 April. This compares with arrival dates of 4/4 in 2013 and 4/8 in 2012. As an aside, recent news reports from the Boulder Fire have been calling the canyon just west of Elden Spring "Paradise Canyon" - I can't find any support for that name on USGS maps (and hadn't heard it before). Does this name sound familiar to anyone else?

Very near the spring was a mixed flock containing 1 Yellow-rumped Warber, lots of Ruby-crowned Kinglets and also a small group of Bushtits (near the spring). While not unusual, Bushtits are only reported around Elden Spring sporadically and with no discernible seasonal pattern.

Also, perusing eBird reports I see one from yesterday noting a Zone-tailed Hawk at Elden Spring - a good report! There are only a handful of sightings of this species near the spring. In my yard yesterday (very near Elden Spring) I had a male Williamson's Sapsucker, which may represent a spring arrival.

Jason

Several singing Virginia's Warblers today (heard 4-5 at same time). Also 2 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and at least 10 Ruby Crowned Kinglets. This was at turnoff to "Paradise Canyon".
Elizabeth

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elden Spring: Pacific-slope Flycatcher jawilder 0 63 4 Sep 2018, 8:33 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Little Elden Spring to Schultz Tank Tom Linda 0 220 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Tennessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden jawilder 4 248 20 May 2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: burger
  Dusky Flycatchers near Elden Spring jawilder 1 235 14 May 2018, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Early migrant flock near Elden Spring jawilder 2 911 18 Aug 2017, 1:39 PM
  Willow Flycatchers and Virginia Rails on Granite Creek in Prescott, Yavapai Co. fplguerrero 0 698 4 Jul 2017, 7:41 AM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Virginia's Warbler at Cave Springs tblows 0 655 6 Apr 2017, 12:58 PM
Last Post: tblows
  Elden Spring: not many migrants...Calliope Hummingbird jawilder 1 1,213 11 Sep 2016, 10:47 AM
  Elden Spring: Mystery bird jawilder 1 1,046 6 Sep 2016, 6:49 PM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Elden Spring Tom Linda 8 2,488 19 Aug 2016, 7:51 AM
Last Post: tshedwall