Varied Thrush at Petrified Forest
28 Nov 2014, 8:39 AM,
Varied Thrush at Petrified Forest
Yesterday (Thursday, November 27), there was a Varied Thrush at the parking lot for the Rainbow Forest Museum at Petrified forest national park. I have attached a photo.

Trevor

Attached Files Image(s)

29 Nov 2014, 8:25 PM,
Varied Thrush-still present Nov. 29th
November 29, 2014
After seeing Trevor Hinckley's posting of an adult male VARIED THRUSH he photographed on Nov. 27th at the Rainbow Forest Museum parking lot at Petrified Forest National Park east of Holbrook, my dad and I hurried up there this afternoon. We first unsuccessfully looked for it around the junipers near the buildings, expecting that to be a likely place the bird might hang out. After 20-25 minutes of finding no birds besides a Loggerhead Shrike and a couple of Common Ravens, we headed over to the Curios/Gift Shop building near the museum to get some holiday shopping done. Just as we walked up towards the building we saw the VARIED THRUSH foraging for spiders and insects off the side of the building, hopping in the open on the cut grass and concrete among the benches and trash cans. I was able to get some photographs:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S20723857

This is within the small sliver of the park that is in Navajo County (most of the park is in Apache Co.). Looking through my various references, I can only find four previous records of this species for Navajo Co. (interestingly, I cannot find any records for Apache Co.). There are no reports on eBird for either Navajo or Apache Counties yet (besides the one I've submitted today). For those that might go look, Rainbow Forest Museum is near the southern entrance of the park, most easily accessed from Hwy. 180 southeast of Holbrook. Also, keep an eye out for the porcupine stripping bark off a Russian-olive nearby too.

On the drive back we pulled off on the shoulder of Hwy. 180 on the eastern outskirts of Holbrook near some agricultural fields when we spotted a large white bird in a field. It appeared to be a ROSS'S GOOSE, with short bill lacking dark "grin patch" that a Snow Goose would have, high forehead with vertical edge at base of the bill, and short stocky neck.

Good birding!

Eric Hough
thebirdwhisperer22@yahoo.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Varied Thrush Report: West Fork. gbotello 0 220 5 Feb 2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Harris's Sparrow at Petrified Forest National Park andrewcore 1 280 14 Dec 2017, 11:57 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Fwd: Overgaard VARIED THRUSH erh36 0 197 9 Nov 2017, 7:56 PM
  Varied Thrush in Williams AZ explorer 0 172 24 Oct 2017, 12:20 PM
Last Post: explorer
  Varied Thrush, White-throated Sparrow at Tappan Spring Katbird 0 265 18 Oct 2017, 9:41 AM
Last Post: Katbird
  Varied Thrush jocrouse 0 345 2 Aug 2017, 8:13 PM
Last Post: jocrouse
  Varied Thrush on FR418 ulreich 3 1,317 7 Nov 2016, 5:26 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  Red Crossbills in forest near Pine Dell, Ft. Tooth Zack Zdinak 0 756 10 Jan 2016, 7:51 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Varied Thrush at Cave Spring CG Jeff Tanner 3 2,145 15 Mar 2015, 12:12 PM
Last Post: HollyPK
  Navajo County: VARIED THRUSH, Wood Ducks, etc. erh36 0 1,083 6 Dec 2014, 7:25 PM