Williams Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
7 May 2015, 2:42 PM,
Williams Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
I was sitting at my desk doing computer work just know, when the call of an Evening Grosbeak pulled me from my computer screen to my bird feeders. Scanning the several B.H. Grosbeaks that have returned to my yard over the past week, I noticed one bird sitting on my feeder in the shade. The bird looked surprisingly dark, but thinking that it was just the shade, I looked nonchalantly at him with my binoculars and felt my brain and heart explode simultaneously as I realized that he was a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. What made this even better was the fact I was romanticizing that perhaps this dark colored bird was a R.B. Grosbeak in my mind. The bird afforded good looks for about 5 minutes in which time I was able to get a few crumby photos of him. This was a lifer (woo-hoo!) for me. My non-birding Mom was enthralled with the unusual visitor, which was nice to see. Until she wanted a better look and stepped outside which resulted in a subsequent flurry of feathers, but hopefully he will return! The photos are in the ebird checklist posted here. http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S23292169
7 May 2015, 3:57 PM,
RE: Williams Rose-Breasted Grosbeak
Good news! He did indeed return! He's out there right now. Thus far he just likes to make little cameos, then go back to the trees.
7 May 2015, 7:11 PM,
Thanks to Cody for the heads up on the grosbeak. I was able to get over to Cody's Place as soon as I got back into town this evening and as I pulled up to his house the bird showed up at his feeder. Also a life bird for me! I was able to get a couple photos that I will post shortly. Not the best but definitely good enough to confirm the identity.
7 May 2015, 8:17 PM,
It appears as though I'll be returning to try and get better photos of the bird tomorrow, I hope he sticks around. The pics I pulled off my camera are not the best. I thought I was getting decent photos when he was facing me but apparently the pine needles were hogging the focus. So glad we are in the digital world. I can remember when I would wait three days to get a roll of film developed only to then find out my pics were out of focus...

7 May 2015, 9:59 PM,
Great find Cody! What an awesome bird! And thanks for sharing so quickly that Art could see it too!
8 May 2015, 7:47 AM,
I'm glad I was able to share the bird with other birders. The bird was sighted at 6:30 and 7:30 this morning. The rest of my family said it would be all right if any birders wanted to stop by and see this bird from the yard. Get in touch via PM if anyone's interested. I'll be by my computer all day today.
Sighted again at 8:40. He's making his appearances almost exactly one hour apart.
9 May 2015, 8:38 PM,
I was out birding with Arthur (thanks again!) most of today, but my family said they saw the grosbeak today. My feeder went dry while I was out, and the bird did not reappear in the evening, but he will probably return tomorrow morning.
11 May 2015, 8:51 AM,
The bird has not been re-sighted since 2:30 on Saturday. He likely migrated Saturday night while the weather was clear.
11 May 2015, 8:10 PM,
Thanks for the updates Cody! Wish I'd gotten to go birding with you and Art, and the 90 species you saw on Saturday!
12 May 2015, 9:55 AM,
It was a great day. Next time we plan something like that we'll give you a heads up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handsome Rose Breasted Grosbeak in yard in Swiss Manor eharding 5 271 14 May 2018, 7:18 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak-Cameron Chuck LaRue 17 2,169 27 Jan 2018, 5:20 PM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  Varied Thrush in Williams AZ explorer 0 247 24 Oct 2017, 12:20 PM
Last Post: explorer
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak? rauler 2 795 31 Aug 2017, 9:25 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Flagstaff Rose-breasted Grosbeak jawilder 8 2,226 10 May 2017, 4:07 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak nopoint 2 1,115 17 Dec 2016, 4:58 PM
Last Post: nopoint
  There WAS an Evening Grosbeak in Williams... NorthernAZbirds 3 1,370 26 Sep 2016, 3:32 PM
Last Post: jocrouse
  FWD: Rose-breasted Grosbeak awanderingbirder 0 838 31 Aug 2016, 9:17 PM
Last Post: awanderingbirder
  Swiss Manor: Rose-breasted grosbeak jawilder 3 1,488 28 Jun 2016, 8:10 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  White Pelicans, Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Parks rauler 0 866 19 Jun 2016, 3:34 PM
Last Post: rauler