Elden Spring: Good migrant show, probable Pacific-slope Flycatcher
16 Aug 2015, 8:14 AM,
Elden Spring: Good migrant show, probable Pacific-slope Flycatcher
There were many birds all around Elden Spring this morning - migration is definitely heating up. The area took a beating from a brief hail storm yesterday, but the birds didn't seem to mind. At the spring itself were three "Western" Flycatchers, one of which called once and sounded good for Pacific-slope Flycatcher. Earlier in the summer calling Cordillerans were quite common, and today's bird definitely had a different single-syllable call. Back in 2010 John Coons identified PSFL at Elden Spring on 8/13 and I've heard PSFL-like birds in mid-August most years since.

There was a great showing of warblers, including Wilson's, Black-throated Gray, Nashville, Hermit, Red-faced, and Virginia's. A heard-only Black-chinned Sparrow was interesting. A Warbling Vireo was my first of the fall for Elden Spring. Anna's Humminbirds are present, though their numbers seem down from past years.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
16 Aug 2015, 3:09 PM,
RE: Elden Spring: Good migrant show, probable Pacific-slope Flycatcher
Seems I checked my records of COFLawhile back and as I recall most of our local breeding birds may be gone by now.
18 Aug 2015, 2:31 PM,
I had a Cassins's Vireo (flagged by ebird) at Elden Spring yesterday, 8/17/15.

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

19 Aug 2015, 5:12 PM,
Not a migrant necessarily - more of a wanderer, I guess - but Glo and I had a Roadrunner in the canyon west of Elden Springs this morning. Also a Rock Wren, a Kestrel, and a few other birds.

Ron
19 Aug 2015, 8:42 PM,
I can't figure out Rock Wren at Elden Spring. I've only run across Rock Wren there on one occasion, and on that day I was scrambling up on the rock above the spring in an area I don't often go. Canyon Wrens are downright abundant all across the base of Mount Elden. I sometimes see them right at the spring and hear them on at least 95% of my visits. eBird has quite a few records of Rock Wren, by a great diversity of people, so maybe they're just lurking in an area I don't tend to travel.

Jason
20 Aug 2015, 7:04 AM,
A lone silent "Western" Flycatcher was in the immediate area of Elden Spring at 6:30 this morning, 8/20.

Jason
20 Aug 2015, 9:45 AM,
(19 Aug 2015, 8:42 PM)jawilder Wrote: I can't figure out Rock Wren at Elden Spring. I've only run across Rock Wren there on one occasion, and on that day I was scrambling up on the rock above the spring in an area I don't often go. Canyon Wrens are downright abundant all across the base of Mount Elden. I sometimes see them right at the spring and hear them on at least 95% of my visits. eBird has quite a few records of Rock Wren, by a great diversity of people, so maybe they're just lurking in an area I don't tend to travel.

Jason

Jason,

I agree with seeing them only occasionally in the area. I did see one near the Lugano entrance, across from the pipeline trail this week. That's the first one I have seen in a long time.

I have also seen them in the past near the N. St. Moritz Way entrance, oddly enough right around the pipeline trail, as well.

Gary
20 Aug 2015, 10:41 AM,
Credit is due to Roger R. for suggesting this to me, but the timing of observations suggests Rock Wrens are being seen as migrants through the area.
Here is eBird's bar chart of all Rock Wren observations at Elden Spring:

The timing seems to agree with the broad-scale patterns of Rock Wren movement shown here:
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/occurrence/rock-wren/

Jason

20 Aug 2015, 3:26 PM,
Do they breed on the slopes above? If so maybe they could be local post-breeding individuals dispersing.
20 Aug 2015, 3:30 PM,
That wouldn't surprise me. On my several Black-chinned Sparrow hunts up there over the years I have not seen or heard them, but it is certainly possible.

Jason
20 Aug 2015, 3:34 PM,
Now that I think of it they might be migrants from way up north. By this time of year it is getting real hot and dry across eastern Oregon and Washington east across Idaho and Wyoming and Rock Wrens in those areas may leave early. Maybe Ebird might indicate something up there.
20 Aug 2015, 5:31 PM,
This time of year I frequently find Rock Wrens in locations where I do not find them the rest of the year (specifically, a couple very small clumps of a few boulders within dense pinyon juniper on level terrain). Whether they are simply dispersing birds or longer distance migrants, I obviously have no way of knowing, but it is a noticeable pattern.

Brian
22 Aug 2015, 9:46 AM,
Painted Redstart too
I haven't been here all season; always a joy. Adding to the warblers here early this Saturday morning was a Painted Redstart in the upper part of the west side draw, where the white firs are. Also other unidentified warblers, an Empid flicking its tail, canyon wrens, brown creepers, rufous and Anna's hummers, etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashurst Lake migrant fallout Tom Linda 1 103 4 Sep 2018, 5:33 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Elden Spring: Pacific-slope Flycatcher jawilder 0 41 4 Sep 2018, 8:33 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Meteor Crater: Good birds and some advice jawilder 0 115 1 Sep 2018, 1:33 PM
  Meteor Crater: Pacific-slope Flycatcher(s) and other Empids jawilder 0 50 30 Aug 2018, 11:15 AM
  Little Elden Spring to Schultz Tank Tom Linda 0 204 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Good News! gbotello 0 130 10 Jul 2018, 3:53 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Flagstaff John Coons 2 176 5 Jul 2018, 3:16 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  Dusky Flycatchers near Elden Spring jawilder 1 209 14 May 2018, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Early migrant flock near Elden Spring jawilder 2 904 18 Aug 2017, 1:39 PM
  Cave Spring American Dipper and Pacific Wren Tom Linda 2 1,154 5 Nov 2016, 12:07 PM
Last Post: ChipEngelmann