More Finchy Goings-On
4 Apr 2005, 10:34 AM,
More Finchy Goings-On
The seed in my feeder has been disappearing faster and faster lately. I had been wondering what was up. This morning I looked out the window and saw 20 Cassin's Finches chowing down on the Sunflower mix! More were in the trees, so I am not sure how many there are total.

Sally, our secretary here in environmental sciences says she also has about 30 coming to her feeders in a different part of town, so there are a bunch around.
5 Apr 2005, 12:07 PM,
And on...
More than 30 CAFI this morning, plus 8 Evening Grosbeaks, another first for my feeders.
5 Apr 2005, 12:17 PM,
CAFIs in Overgaard
After a shingle-flinging windy day yesterday, we had 60+ CAFIs on and under the feeders this morning. This is the most of this spp I've seen in over 3 years of living here, and a three-fold increase over what we had in the yard the previous few days (22). Unreal.
8 Apr 2005, 4:03 PM,
Cassin's Finches
It can be said that Cassin's Finches are irrupting this spring as they are known to do from time to time. It's a good change from the House Finches.
8 Apr 2005, 9:55 PM,
Cassin's Finches
I finally had a single cassin's in my backyard yesterday, which probably means that others are on the way. I wonder if the big flock of Cedar Waxwings I saw last weekend (100+ birds) is related to the finch invasion.

It's been a good year for finches here - next REDPOLES!!!
14 Apr 2005, 9:15 AM,
Cassin's Finches
The finch horde arrived at Indian Gardens this morning. There were about 30 Cassin's finches at the feeders and in the trees.
14 Apr 2005, 8:42 PM,

a female Cassin's Finch at my Cornville feeder this morning.
15 Apr 2005, 10:12 AM,
82 Overgaard CAFIs
Looks like we topped out at 82 CAFIs a few days ago. Still getting more than 60 at a time especially in the late afternoon.

Chipping Sparrows are slowly on the increase (6 now), and we just had our first hummers of the season show up day before yesterday: Male Black-chinned and a Broad-tailed, the latter of which I've only heard with too fleeting a glimpse to see gender.
18 Apr 2005, 12:29 PM,
Paulden, AZ CA FI
I had a female Cassin's Finch at my feeder in Paulden, near Chino Valley.

Jessie
20 Apr 2005, 5:59 PM,
More Flagstaff Finches
In my neighborhood today, off of Paseo del Flag, I had five species of finches.

~9 Cassin's Finches
2 American Goldfinches (1m, 1f)
many Pine Siskins
4 Lesser Goldfinches
many House Finches.

There was also a lone Eurasian Collared-Dove, the first one I've seen in the area.

Good Birding,

Christian Nunes
20 Apr 2005, 10:03 PM,
Eurasian Collared Dove
I had two Eurasian collared doves at my feeders in Paulden yesterday, which was the first time I had ever seen one out of town. As for Cassin's finches, I have now a grand total of 5; 4 females and 1 male.
21 Apr 2005, 8:34 AM,
Lesser goldfinches
We have about thirty Lesser Golfinches at our feeders at Indian gardens. It's a very finchy spring.
21 Apr 2005, 1:30 PM,
Cassin's Finches
I'd be interested in hearing what trends others are seeing in their finch numbers. My CAFI flock peaked at over 100 around the 10-11th of the month and is now down to about 25. The ratio of females to males was about 2 or 3 to 1 at the peak and is now more like 5:1.

The Evening Grosbeaks also seem to have left my neighborhood.
21 Apr 2005, 10:42 PM,
CAFI, HOFI, LEGO, PISI, DEJU, CHSP
CAFIs are still 60+ throughout the day. I haven't tried counting genders yet, but if it's useful will be glad to do that.

~20 HOFI are here, 4 LEGO (2 pair), 4-6 PISI, and ~10 DEJU (mostly gray-headed, 1 Oregon), and 6 CHSP.

Latest spring arrivals: Spotted Towhee (today), Plumbeous Vireo (4/20), 2 Band-tailed Pigeons (4/19), Cassin's Kingbird and, for the 2nd year in a row, Dusky-capped Flycatcher (4/14) which was also calling or I would've thought it was the Ash-throated flying around the property. Oh, and another male and now a female Black-chinned hummer have joined the lone male who showed up a week ago.

Katy
Overgaard
2 May 2005, 11:19 AM,
Lesser Golfinch count
I counted 29 Lesser Goldfinches at the feeders yesterday, 16 males and 13 females, with more in the trees. They haven't moved in a month or so. We usually have a large population toward the end of summer with the nesters and their juvenals and migrants. It is unusual to have this many this early.
3 May 2005, 12:15 PM,
CAFI et al counts in Overgaard
We ended up with over 100 CAFIs on April 26 & 27 (photos will give a more accurate count when the film comes back), but they've dropped back to more manageable daily numbers in the 60-80 range. :-) I've never seen more than 9 males in the yard at any one time, usually only 6-7, with the rest females.

PISI have oddly picked up, with over 20 yesterday. LEGO are 10-12, equally split between males and females. HOFI are about the same.

The first Black-headed Grosbeak (male) came in on April 27, and now there are 3 males and one female.
5 May 2005, 4:16 PM,
Black-headed Grosbeak count
On May 3rd, a flock of Black-headed Grosbeaks arrived at our feeders. There are twelve: six males and six females.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Un-finchy winter jawilder 6 320 11 Jan 2019, 9:44 PM
Last Post: BrianHof
  Finchy morning apellegrini 0 602 7 Mar 2016, 9:29 AM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Un-finchy Flagstaff? jawilder 10 3,965 19 Jan 2012, 5:23 PM
Last Post: Phyllis Kegley