Brown Thrasher - Bubbling Ponds
28 Nov 2015, 3:11 PM,
Brown Thrasher - Bubbling Ponds
Yesterday Kay Hawklee discovered a Brown Thrasher at the Page Springs Bubbling Ponds. The bird was located near the little amphitheater on the Black Hawk Trail.

Today Sam Hough relocated the bird in the same area, and we were both able to see it. It was actively feeding on the fruits of the Russian Olives, which are plentiful, so it may stick around for a bit.

Thanks Kay for finding this remarkable bird!

This photo was taken by Sam.

Here is the best of my shots.

6 Dec 2015, 12:14 PM,
RE: Brown Thrasher - Bubbling Ponds
1. as holly reported, kay hawklee found a BROWN THRASHER about 9 days ago at the bubbling ponds. she did a great job of calling sam and a number of folks have seen it. she also did a great job of keeping the bird here as we went out this morning and fairly easily found the bird!!!! thanks kay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. from bubbling ponds parking lot go to back right of all ponds and take black hawk trail. you will get to a sort of split tree with benches. look from about 200 feet in all directions from there. the bird is always seen eating russian olive berries
rich armstrong
richarmstrong@q.com
16 Dec 2015, 3:50 PM,
Ron Auler and I saw the bird this morning at the described location, perched up in perfect light. Such a cool bird!

Thanks for posting this Holly.
Tom
18 Dec 2015, 8:09 PM,
I got a very limited view of it today. I was watching birds taking baths in the little stream that runs from that ranch beside the amphitheater area. The sun was shining on a group of thick bushes beside the stream and I spotted a deep rufous-brown glow from within the thickets.

It was the Brown Thrasher preening. Apparently, it had just taken a bath shortly before I arrived in the area. As soon as I noticed it it began to move into the thicker brush.

I managed to get a couple of bad pics in the thickets, but if you look closely, you can make out the bird's features (including the yellow eye).

Despite staking out the area for about 2+ hours, it never would come out to play...at least I did see the bird for a brief time...oh well, you win some and you lose some...

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

22 Dec 2015, 10:42 AM,
1. the 18th was the sedona cbc
2. the page springs team did not find the thrasher
3. so gary contributed to the sedona cbc by getting the brown thrasher that day - thanks for participating accidentally in the sedona cbc!!!!!!!!!!
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
22 Dec 2015, 1:10 PM,
(22 Dec 2015, 10:42 AM)richarmstrong Wrote: 1. the 18th was the sedona cbc
2. the page springs team did not find the thrasher
3. so gary contributed to the sedona cbc by getting the brown thrasher that day - thanks for participating accidentally in the sedona cbc!!!!!!!!!!
rich armstrong
928-282-3675

Glad to be of service, Rich!

Too bad I did not see the Dipper. You could have counted that...Dipper droppings don't count, do they?

HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!

Gary
22 Dec 2015, 6:23 PM,
Brown Thrasher is a postable species for the azfo.org photos page and would appreciate a submission :-D

David Vander Pluym
Lake Havasu City

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Louisiana Waterthrush - Bubbling Ponds Roger 2 362 4 Feb 2018, 3:03 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Meteor Crater: Brown Thrasher, Golden-crowned Kinglet, Brown Creepers, etc jawilder 9 728 11 Oct 2017, 8:41 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Brown Thrasher, Chavez Pass Rd ebonyraven 0 410 22 Jun 2017, 2:49 PM
Last Post: ebonyraven
  Bubbling Ponds Zack Zdinak 0 645 19 Oct 2016, 4:19 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Bubbling Ponds - Page Springs Fish Hatchery Zack Zdinak 0 698 25 May 2016, 7:44 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Page Springs - Brown Thrasher & Pacific Wren John Coons 4 2,117 14 Feb 2016, 5:48 PM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Brown-cowned Junco jawilder 1 891 18 Jan 2016, 2:21 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Bubbling Ponds - mulberries Roger 0 948 17 May 2015, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Roger
  sedona brown thrasher richarmstrong 3 1,599 6 May 2015, 9:12 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  A three thrasher day Tom Linda 3 1,732 8 Mar 2015, 7:11 PM
Last Post: NorthernAZbirds