Sedona - Oak Creek Louisiana Waterthrush
19 Mar 2016, 11:06 PM,
Sedona - Oak Creek Louisiana Waterthrush
Bruce Mactavish sent me some nice pix taken this morning (3/19) of a Louisiana Waterthrush along Oak Creek north of Sedona. He was staying at the Briar Patch Inn.

I do not know anything about access to this location but a check of the website (http://briarpatchinn.com/sedona-bed-and-breakfast.html) indicates that you can eat breakfast there (by reservation only)... there's a phone number to check availability.

A quick check on eBird did not show any other Louisiana Waterthrush submissions from the region, so it seems like a noteworthy bird.

thanks Bruce!
Andrew

--
Andrew Core
Tucson, AZ
20 Mar 2016, 9:14 AM,
RE: Sedona - Oak Creek Louisiana Waterthrush
I could be missing an old report since it's not a review species so hard to track, but I believe this is a first county record!

Lauren
20 Mar 2016, 10:02 AM,
I have done a lot of digging too, and also came to the conclusion that it's a first-county record.

Jason
20 Mar 2016, 10:09 AM,
I've asked if he would submit the pix to AZFO (thanks to David vander pluym for the reminder!).
20 Mar 2016, 12:23 PM,
(20 Mar 2016, 10:02 AM)jawilder Wrote: I have done a lot of digging too, and also came to the conclusion that it's a first-county record.

Jason

13 May 2001, Grand Canyon RM196.0R - Helen Yard

20 Mar 2016, 8:34 PM,
Roger, do you know anything more about that report? I had never even been able to get the date for it. A bunch of interesting stuff showed up in the reports for that project, but I was never able to get any detail at all….

20 Mar 2016, 8:42 PM,
(20 Mar 2016, 8:34 PM)Canyonbirder Wrote: Roger, do you know anything more about that report? I had never even been able to get the date for it. A bunch of interesting stuff showed up in the reports for that project, but I was never able to get any detail at all….

PM'd you.
21 Mar 2016, 7:51 AM,
Does anyone know of other northern Arizona records? Navajo/Apache in particular?
21 Mar 2016, 6:00 PM,
Louisiana Waterthrush -Yes
Sunday afternoon I went to lower Oak Creek Canyon to have a look for the Louisiana Waterthrush that was seen on Friday, 18 March, by Bruce Mactavish. I struck out but it was hot and the habitat looked good enough to merit another attempt. I went back this morning, 21 March, with Chuck LaRue and we found the Louisiana Waterthrush in the sycamores, cottonwoods and alders along Oak Creek. The Briar Patch Inn is not equipped for visitors but we found an alternative access to the area. Upstream from the Briar Patch and not far below Indian Gardens is the Rainbow Trout Farm. We talked to the manager who graciously said it would be okay for a “few” people at a time to have a look from their property if they first ask permission.

For access and suggestions: 3-4 miles north of Sedona turn off Hwy 89A and cross the entrance bridge with the Rainbow sign, park in the visitor’s spaces on the right. Go to the information / reception building and ask for the manager, Chris. Tell him you are there to look for the waterthrush and would like to walk downstream on their property. If Chris is not available ask for Ricardo, Dale or Jake and tell them Chris is allowing access for birding. DO NOT walk on to the private property without permission, this is not only unethical but could cancel access to others. Chris said he would rather have a few folks arrive together and not be all over the property. After passing passport control, walk south along the gravel road and step over the rope gate entering the Living Springs Camp with the No Trespassing sign hanging from it. In a short ways you can get to the top of the wooded bank looking down onto Oak Creek with several large trees scattered between you and the creek. We saw the Louisiana Waterthrush in these trees along a 60 yard stretch just upstream from the yellow gazebo-like building visible across the creek. To find this bird it is essential to be familiar with the strong chip note. We tracked down the waterthrush by the chip and watched it hopping about in the trees from 10 to 40 feet off the ground. It would then perch quietly for several minutes. We never saw it actively foraging near the creek, as Bruce did, but it may have been waiting for the sun to strike the area. You might be asked to let them know when you leave and you should let Chris know if you saw or did not see the waterthrush as he is interested as well. I noticed a sign on the information building of the Trout Farm saying they opened at 9:00 am but someone might be there earlier. Buy a soda in their shop. Good luck!
23 Mar 2016, 12:38 PM,
1. 5 of us from the valley went to the trout farm this morning. they were very very nice and let us in happily. they did seem to indicate that if there was a group at living springs camp birders would not be allowed, but otherwise they said we were welcome anytime.
2. however, the bird was not nice and was not there from 915 to 11 - no song, no chip notes, no bird.
3. house wrens are back and singing. lucy's warblers were there, but no waterthrush.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
25 Mar 2016, 9:35 PM,
(21 Mar 2016, 7:51 AM)ebonyraven Wrote: Does anyone know of other northern Arizona records? Navajo/Apache in particular?

No records yet for Navajo and Apache counties that I can find.

Eric

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Louisiana Waterthrush at Walnut Canyon Lakes Cactospiza 6 471 6 Apr 2018, 7:28 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Louisiana Waterthrush - Bubbling Ponds Roger 4 843 3 Mar 2018, 9:46 AM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH at Canyon Creek (Navajo Co.) erh36 0 363 20 Nov 2017, 11:22 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Thunder River - Tapeats Creek - Deer Creek: Dippers, Red-breasted Nuthatch, etc jawilder 1 374 15 Oct 2017, 8:43 AM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Northern Waterthrush John Hildebrand 0 439 3 Sep 2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: John Hildebrand
  Louisiana Waterthrush, Page Springs nopoint 11 3,159 4 Mar 2017, 8:35 PM
Last Post: Caleb Strand
  Oak Creek & Sedona 11/27/15 gbotello 5 1,667 28 Nov 2015, 11:07 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Northern Waterthrush nopoint 0 927 9 May 2014, 9:06 AM
Last Post: nopoint
  Clear Creek Campground and Sycamore Creek jawilder 0 1,727 22 Feb 2013, 5:27 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon ebonyraven 0 561 13 Nov 2009, 12:54 PM
Last Post: ebonyraven