Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler
24 Apr 2016, 11:45 AM,
Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler
I had an interesting morning around Elden Spring, which included a few new arrivals such as Ash-throated Flycatcher and gnatcatchers, as well as a spectacular amount of vocalization from the resident Virginia's Warblers. At Elden Spring there was a group of 3 male Yellow-rumped Warblers, which included two striking "Audubon's" Warblers and a bird that appeared mostly a "Myrtle" type bird, but with a flash of yellow at the base of the bill and a bit of messiness to the wing bars I think might actually be an intergrade ("Myrtlebon's") between the two. Here's the best I could do in terms of a pic:

A scramble up Paradise Canyon above Elden Spring produced a pair of Painted Redstarts, one singing regularly. Over the years I think I've seen Painted Redstarts more often than not when I've visited this spot (at least during the warmer months), and I suspect they nest here.

White-throated Swifts also appear to be nesting up Paradise Canyon, which was fun to see.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
26 Apr 2016, 9:16 AM,
RE: Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler
I stopped by Elden Spring this morning at 7:00. It was cold and windy with periods of blowing snow. Not surprisingly, not much was out and about. I did get my FOY (for Coconino County) Black-headed Grosbeak and FOY Red-faced Warbler.

Joe
26 Apr 2016, 9:24 AM,
RE: Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler
Today and yesterday there have also been relatively large numbers of Evening Grosbeaks in the area. This morning there were ~20 in my yard, which retreated to the forest by Elden Spring when a neighbor's cat showed up.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tennessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden jawilder 4 157 20 May 2018, 10:58 AM
Last Post: burger
  Dusky Flycatchers near Elden Spring jawilder 1 150 14 May 2018, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  FOS Painted Redstart Cave Springs gbotello 2 261 23 Mar 2018, 7:21 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Elden Painted Redstart jawilder 0 341 16 Sep 2017, 5:52 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Early migrant flock near Elden Spring jawilder 2 857 18 Aug 2017, 1:39 PM
  Painted Redstart at Desert View (South Rim) Canyonbirder 0 472 11 Aug 2017, 3:56 PM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  Elden Spring: not many migrants...Calliope Hummingbird jawilder 1 1,163 11 Sep 2016, 10:47 AM
  Elden Spring: Mystery bird jawilder 1 989 6 Sep 2016, 6:49 PM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Elden Spring Tom Linda 8 2,340 19 Aug 2016, 7:51 AM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Turkey Vulture chicks at Elden Spring Tom Linda 0 764 3 Jul 2016, 6:31 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda