yellow-throated vireo cave springs
19 Jul 2016, 10:00 PM,
yellow-throated vireo cave springs
1. apparently a 12 year old birder saw and photographed a YELLOW-THROATED VIREO at cave springs campground yesterday.
2. and i am told 1 of the crouses saw it today. i don't know what part of vace springs.
3. i have not been there or seen it, but wanted to post it so all of you would know about it..
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
20 Jul 2016, 8:22 AM,
RE: yellow-throated vireo cave springs
Picture and more info here: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30768133
20 Jul 2016, 10:44 AM,
I drove down early this morning and it was quite birdy.

The interior host had 4 hummingbird feeders set up and it was swarming with birds. Mostly Broad-tailed with a few Black-chinned, Anna's, Rufous plus 2 Magnificent and a nice male Calliope (FOS). I heard a vireo singing, but in an area with a lot of campers so I couldn't track it down.

I was about to start birding the orchard when I ran into John Coons and Chuck LaRue. We chatted a bit and I decided to go back into the campground with them. It was a fortuitous decision.

As we were passing the open picnic area (with the cave), Chuck heard a vireo and we went in to investigate. Soon after we found the Yellow-throated Vireo singing and scolding. We had nice looks at it as it flew to several different trees. A new Coconino County Bird for me.
Tom

20 Jul 2016, 6:03 PM,
1. i stupidly left dry sedona assuming it would be dry elsewhere and got to cave springs in torrential rain.
2. we tried when it slowed and finally when it stopped for a total of about 3 hours, but we did not hear or see the vireo.
3. it may very well still be around for people smarter than me.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
21 Jul 2016, 8:59 AM,
Today at 6:50 AM (Thursday, 21 July 2016) the Yellow-throated Vireo was present along the western side of the large clearing just past the entrance to the Cave Springs Campground.

Two Magnificent Hummingbirds (1 male, 1 female) were at the campground host's feeders. In about 15 minutes of watching, no Calliope was present.

Jason
21 Jul 2016, 11:21 AM,
Six of us (Glo & I, plus 4 who drove up from PHX) came a little too late to get the bird in that location. After checking out the hummers a couple times and looking elsewhere along the bottom of the slope, we heard a plumbeous-like song toward the check-in station. After a bit of searching and hearing more vocalizations, two of us saw the yellow-throated vireo fairly high in the cottonwoods on the east side of the creek, a little after 9 am.

Ron
22 Jul 2016, 9:45 AM,
1. holly, nanette, & i spent 2+ hours from 650 to 9 this morning not hearing and not seeing any vireos.
2. it probably did not help that a guy mowed the picnic area with the loudest mower ever made, but we could hear yellow warblers and cordilleran flycatchers.
3. good luck to you better birders.
rich armstrong
richarmstrong@q.com
22 Jul 2016, 10:16 AM,
Field Ornithologists,

Jason Wilder contributed photos of Yellow-throated Vireo. Thanks Jason!

Thanks to all who use the online form below to submit photos. It makes our job a lot easier and ensures your photos will be posted more quickly.

The AZFO Photo Gallery is found at:

http://www.azfo.org
click on "Photo Documentation"
27 Jul 2016, 3:55 PM,
There is an eBird report from Tuesday 26 July of the YTVI continuing in roughly the same area:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30872115
30 Jul 2016, 4:57 PM,
(27 Jul 2016, 3:55 PM)jawilder Wrote: There is an eBird report from Tuesday 26 July of the YTVI continuing in roughly the same area:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S30872115

I was feeling kind of lazy this morning, but spurred on by Jazon's report of a recent sighting of the Yellow-throated Vireo, I decided to head to Cave Springs to give it another try (I tried last Saturday, but struck out).

This time, however, I got it about 15 minutes after arriving in the area (about 10:00AM). It stuck around for about 10 minutes in the trees around the parking area for the showers, along the creek. It even briefly sang.

Thanks, Jason, for giving me the incentive to get down there!

A lifer for me!

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

31 Jul 2016, 1:33 PM,
Glad you found the bird, Gary!

Chuck LaRue and I visited Oak Creek Canyon this morning and failed to find the YTVI. Highlights of birds we did find at Cave Springs included a Zone-tailed Hawk soaring along the rim of the canyon and an Indigo-type bunting that appeared to perhaps be a hybrid with Lazuli based on small amount of white at the base of the belly (no photos, unfortunately).The hummingbird show at the campground host's site was just fantastic, with dozens of birds present. One female/juvenile Calliope visited the feeders, along with numerous Black-chinned, Broad-tailed, Anna's and Rufous. No Magnificent Hummingbirds appeared in 30+ minutes of watching. I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on this bird:

Chuck and I also checked the area along Oak Creek below Midgely Bridge, where Common Black-hawk, family groups of Brown-crested Flycatcher and a couple Summer Tanagers were a treat. Walking near the stream we heard a strange sound that we both thought was baby birds of some kind. Investigating the source of the noise revealed a Striped Skunk rolling on its back and apparently making happy-noises.

A confiding Clark's Spiny Lizard on the walk out was fun to see:

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

5 Aug 2016, 11:41 AM,
The YELLOW-THROATED VIREO is still there, and made an appearance for my husband and me this morning (Friday, August 5) at about 8:15 a.m. The bird was again in the vicinity of the Shower House. I was super glad I made a second trip up to try for this bird!

6 Aug 2016, 11:59 AM,
1. 4 of us from sedona/rimrock were joined by 2 from prescott and 2 from california this morning from 725 to 11.
2. we did NOT see the yellow-throated vireo. 3rd time was not the charm.
3. plumbeous vireos, hepatic tanagers with a youngster, virginia's & red-faced warblers and some other normals, but very few birds.
rich armstrong
richarmstrong@q.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Allen's Hummingbird at Cave Springs jawilder 8 572 26 Jul 2018, 10:02 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Yellow-throated Vireo at Cave Spring Campground Tom Linda 1 302 3 Jun 2018, 7:18 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Cave Springs 4/14/18 gbotello 1 178 15 Apr 2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Roger
  Grace's Warbler: Cave Springs 4/7/18 gbotello 1 203 8 Apr 2018, 6:01 PM
Last Post: Roger
  FOS Painted Redstart Cave Springs gbotello 2 291 23 Mar 2018, 7:21 PM
  American Dipper - Cave Springs jocrouse 5 474 23 Mar 2018, 6:12 PM
Last Post: jocrouse
  Yellow-throated Vireo Cave Springs Campground Katbird 2 1,244 7 Jun 2017, 5:15 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Greater Pewee at Cave Springs Tom Linda 1 868 27 Apr 2017, 10:34 AM
  Cave Springs 4/22/17 gbotello 1 859 23 Apr 2017, 5:26 PM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Cave Springs 4/15/17 gbotello 0 637 15 Apr 2017, 10:02 PM