Red-breasted Nuthatch in yard
7 Aug 2016, 5:03 PM,
Red-breasted Nuthatch in yard
Opening the backdoor this morning just after 6 am, I was greeted by usual bird sounds. Then one call I couldn't place instantly piqued my curiosity. I step out to see a Red-breasted Nuthatch darting about the yard between box elder, aspen and pine. Only the second one I've seen in my W. Birch Ave. yard - or in town - in 22 years. The other sighting was in the summer too. Anyone else get these mountain birds?
7 Aug 2016, 5:25 PM,
RE: Red-breasted Nuthatch in yard
hey Zack-- Summer? Summer's over--that's a fall bird! Fall migrant RBNUs begin to show up at Desert View in the pinyon juniper in early to mid August most years.

Fall is getting underway up here too--Lazuli Bunting and House Wren were the fall migrants I've seen the last two days on my walks around the DV Sewage ponds.

Brian
7 Aug 2016, 5:48 PM,
Well, Brian, on my planet summer is from the June solstice to the September equinox. Yeah, I know what you mean with migrating birds. Just checked bird - it looks like Ron's seen them in Flag almost every month.
8 Aug 2016, 9:35 AM,
There in my yard every month of the year
9 Aug 2016, 2:28 PM,
I get them in my yard from time to time. Usually in the fall or spring.

However, it took many years of living there before one finally showed up.

They usually come and go, but I had one stick around for a for a week or more one spring a couple of years ago. It seemed to really like my suet.

Gary
9 Aug 2016, 4:00 PM,
I had one Red-breasted Nuthatch spend October - March in my Williams yard two winters ago, and ever since then I've heard him sporadically through the area, mostly around a particular hill covered in Juniper/Oak with scattered Firs and Pines.
9 Aug 2016, 5:54 PM,
Good feedback. I thought RBNU were unusual in town & ponderosa forest. I also saw the variety of times all around Flag on ebird. Jason - where do you live where you've seen them every month?
10 Aug 2016, 8:15 AM,
Yes, they are few and far between but around all year around Elden Spring and at my feeders.

Jason
12 Aug 2016, 7:13 AM,
I'm not surprise, Jason, with the magnet that the Elden Spring area is.

Newbie Jason Russell Solt, you said you get them often. Where do you live in Flagstaff?
12 Aug 2016, 8:08 AM,
I'm not telling you

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handsome Rose Breasted Grosbeak in yard in Swiss Manor eharding 5 345 14 May 2018, 7:18 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Thunder River - Tapeats Creek - Deer Creek: Dippers, Red-breasted Nuthatch, etc jawilder 1 425 15 Oct 2017, 8:43 AM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  First Rose-Breasted Grosbeak & other yard birds JohnNHolly 0 887 15 May 2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: JohnNHolly
  red-breasted nuthatch at MNA Jodi Griffith 0 541 24 Oct 2015, 9:06 AM
Last Post: Jodi Griffith
Information Yard bird- Rose-breasted grosbeak Tee Dub 0 1,039 23 Aug 2012, 4:01 PM
Last Post: Tee Dub
  Pygmy Nuthatch Nest/Yard gbotello 0 923 22 Apr 2011, 1:53 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  New Yard Bird - Rose Breasted Grosbeak Akitaslvr 2 961 10 May 2010, 1:35 PM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Red-breasted Nuthatch irruption? Chuck LaRue 0 830 14 Sep 2004, 4:30 PM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue