Elden Spring
11 Aug 2016, 2:33 PM,
Elden Spring
Jason texted me this morning, saying that he was running through Elden Spring, and that the place was hopping. I drove over at 7:45 and indeed it was. I spent 2 full hours birding the first 100 yards from the trailhead to the spring, tallying 34 species there, including 7 Warbler species.

Highlights were 2 calling Pacific-slope Flycatchers, 1 Painted Redstart, 1 Nashville Warbler, plus multiple Hermit, Black-throated, Townsend Warblers. I found 5 Western type flycatchers, probably all PSFL, but only 2 vocalized.

I spent 5 hours in there and tallied 50 species, including 11 warbler species. I can't remember ever having back-to-back 50 species days in early August.

Thanks to Jason for the heads-up.
Tom
13 Aug 2016, 8:14 AM,
RE: Elden Spring
Bird numbers at Elden Spring were not as high this morning (Saturday) as earlier in the week, but diversity was very nice. I don't think I saw anything that Tom didn't, but highlights were Nashville, Townsend's, Black-throated Gray, and Orange-crowned Warblers, along with Painted Redstart (present continuously all summer). I saw one silent "Western" Flycatcher. Warbling Vireos are definitely on the move.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
14 Aug 2016, 9:50 AM,
I made a trip to Elden Spring this morning hoping to see more warblers. The morning was fairly slow and as I was making my way back to the trailhead, I came across what I believe was a Cassin's Vireo.

I initially thought it was a plumbeous vireo, but the bird had a gray head with the vireo spectacle and had very yellow/olive looking back with a small amount of olive on its flanks. The underside of the bird was very pale. I believe it had a very small amount of yellow/olive on the undertail coverts. It was in the mid to upper levels of the ponderosas and oaks near a flock of pygmy nuthatches. I unfortunately did not bring my camera because I thought it would be liberating not trying to take photos the whole time.

I found the bird about 50 yards north of the pipeline trail/elden springs trail junction.

Ebird has this bird marked as being rare, but based on the ebird maps, it looks like they show up fairly regularly in the area.
15 Aug 2016, 10:10 AM,
My son Ryan and I spent a couple hours in the Elden Spring area yesterday. Just north of the entrance of the Lugano Way access point we both saw a very dark brown and small wren. The tail was short and in an upright position. Unfortunately we didn't get more than a few seconds look at it but we both agreed that it certainly looked more like a Winter/Pacific wren than a House Wren. It was seen in the oaks and cliffrose that are immediately north of the gate located between the two houses.

Joe
17 Aug 2016, 8:46 AM,
On a run this morning I pished in two Cassin's Vireos and a Plumbeous Vireo just east of the Lugano Way trailhead on the Pipeline near Elden Spring. A bit further east was a sizable Spizella flock that would have been fun to sort through if I'd had my binoculars.

Joe, on the subject of wrens, I've noticed that there is an abundance of adult and juvenile House Wrens that are more conspicuous than usual all around Elden Spring (including a few in my yard) and many are molting right now. I've seen some with missing retrices that have made me look twice...I have yet to turn one into a Winter/Pacific Wren, but you never know.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
17 Aug 2016, 1:04 PM,
Glo & I were also in the Elden area this morning and were a bit surprised to encounter a Yellow Warbler there, feeding in a Ponderosa with 2 Black-throated Grays - the combo of pine + Black-throated Grays isn't one I usually associate with Yellow Warblers. Checking eBird, I see it's only the 3rd Yellow Warbler reported at Elden in an 8-year span.

Ron
18 Aug 2016, 7:40 AM,
Is Lugano Way a public access point? It looks like a lot of houses on the aerial view.
18 Aug 2016, 8:02 AM,
Yes, there is official public access and on street parking at the top of Lugano Way.

Jason
19 Aug 2016, 7:51 AM,
Thanks Jason. Is anyone interested in leading an impromptu field trip this weekend?
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Little Elden Spring to Schultz Tank Tom Linda 0 192 19 Jul 2018, 12:53 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Dusky Flycatchers near Elden Spring jawilder 1 197 14 May 2018, 9:38 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Early migrant flock near Elden Spring jawilder 2 893 18 Aug 2017, 1:39 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Elden Spring: not many migrants...Calliope Hummingbird jawilder 1 1,194 11 Sep 2016, 10:47 AM
  Elden Spring: Mystery bird jawilder 1 1,023 6 Sep 2016, 6:49 PM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Turkey Vulture chicks at Elden Spring Tom Linda 0 784 3 Jul 2016, 6:31 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Likely heterospecific bunting pair at Elden Spring jawilder 4 1,542 15 Jun 2016, 9:37 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Elden Spring: Lazuli X Indigo Bunting hybrid jawilder 1 983 11 May 2016, 12:34 PM
  Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler jawilder 2 1,290 26 Apr 2016, 9:24 AM
  Elden Spring FOY Virginia's Warbler, singing Cassin's Finch jawilder 0 869 13 Apr 2016, 8:52 AM