Geese at Continental Country Club Flagstaff
9 Dec 2016, 7:57 PM,
Geese at Continental Country Club Flagstaff
Cackling, Snow, Greater White-fronted (and hundreds of Canada) Geese at Continental Country Club in Flagstaff today!

Attached Files Image(s)

10 Dec 2016, 10:00 AM,
RE: Geese at Continental Country Club Flagstaff
Nice pictures for comparison.
10 Dec 2016, 5:53 PM,
Cackler was still there late today (12/10). I have a horribly cropped, distant photo. I didn't see the snow goose though.
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
11 Dec 2016, 9:31 AM,
Hmmm...the two Snow Geese I saw at the golf course on Thursday were both smudgy first-year birds. The SNGO in the pic above seems to be an adult, and therefore a different bird.

Jason
Flagstaff, Az
11 Dec 2016, 9:55 AM,
The 2 snow geese of question are still out there as of 9 am Sunday. Also seen were 6 Greater White-fronted Geese. Both species were in the same area, directly across the road from the Flagstaff Athletic Club/Sonesta Apts, on the golf course.

Eric
11 Dec 2016, 11:48 AM,
Thanks everyone. I saw the Cackling Goose with a few Canada's in the north Walnut Pond yesterday around 3:30 pm. Just got back from a late morning look and didn't find it there or on the golf course.
13 Dec 2016, 2:09 PM,
I was out working with my dad today at Sonesta, and I managed to slip away for 15 minutes at noon to check the ponds and course across the street. Somehow in the middle of the 1,000 Canada Geese, I was able to find one Cackling Goose and get a few half-way decent pics. I also sighted one adult Snow Goose in the flocks. The oddest sighting was a California Gull standing in the middle of the golf cart track. At the end of about 15 minutes one of the groomers came out in a cart and flushed all of geese and They flew in the direction of the Walnut Canyon ponds. Towards the back of the flying flocks, I thought I saw a flock of about 5 smaller geese that could have been the White-fronted, but I couldn't be sure.
15 Dec 2016, 12:07 PM,
Cackling, snow, greater white-fronted, Canada all here at noon. I'm trying to make this a Ross's goose for good measure. On the golf course across from FAC.

Attached Files Image(s)

15 Dec 2016, 1:05 PM,
I think that your bird is at the very least a Ross's X Snow hybrid, if not a pure Ross's. The bill appears to lack the "grin-patch" of SNGO and be somewhat more triangular in shape.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
15 Dec 2016, 6:23 PM,
I found FOUR Snow Geese (2 separate pairs) on the golf course across from FAC late this afternoon. No sign of anything that I thought was a Ross's Goose. Also, 6 Greater White-Fronted Geese. I did not see the Cackling Goose. I sorted through approximately 1200 wigeon in a few big scattered groups in different areas of the golf course and did not find anything from Eurasia.

Jason
16 Dec 2016, 8:08 AM,
Snow, Ross's, Greater white-fronted, and Canada Geese at Walnut Canyin pobds at 8ish this morning.
16 Dec 2016, 11:26 AM,
Tom Hedwall and I saw all of the geese that Joe reports at the north end of the fairway across from FAC about 10:30 this morning. The Ross's Goose was with 4 Snow Goose, with the Cackling being nearby.

Blustery morning, easy to get wet and cold.
Tom
17 Dec 2016, 3:20 PM,
Went and looked at the geese again - all 6 greater white-fronted geese were on the south end of the golf course by Oakmont; the cackling goose was visible from Soliere. I spent some time studying the 4 white geese I was able to locate. One was clearly the Ross's (smallest of the bunch, round head, short/stubby bill without grin patch). Two white geese were clearly snow geese (largest of the bunch, long bills with grin patches). Then there was an intermediately-sized, juvenile plumaged bird. It had the head morphology of a snow goose, but it was only an inch taller than the Ross' goose (its legs were longer). Both this intermediate bird and the Ross' were clearly smaller than the 2 snow geese (had all 4 standing side by side).

Has anyone else noticed a possible snow x ross's hybrid out there? It was a truly confusing bird until the 2 snow geese walked up for a proper size comparison.

Anne
18 Dec 2016, 8:57 AM,
Hi Anne, the goose I saw on Thursday was an adult. It's head looked rounder and its bill looked shorter than the other snow geese. I never really saw a grin patch either. However, looking at my bad photos later, it was the same size as the others and the base of its bill was curved not straight. Also, Tom and Jason looked at it and didn't see anything Ross like about it. The Ross's goose we saw on Friday was a juvenile. Is that what you saw?
Tom
19 Dec 2016, 10:07 AM,
I made a sunrise drive past the Continental Golf Course and Walnut Canyon Ponds this AM. There were no geese on the golf course that I saw, and all seemed to be packed onto Walnut Canyon ponds. So, this seems to be a good time to sort out the census of geese that are here right now:

1) SIX white geese are present: 4 immature birds and 2 adults. My take is that three of the birds are Ross's and three are Snow. The Snow all look good as non-hybrids. I am curious as to whether anyone thinks hybridization is possible in the "Ross's". I lean toward pure-bred Ross's, but could be convinced otherwise.

2) SIX White-fronted geese continue.

3) One Cackling Goose continues. There has been relatively little discussion of the subspecies of this beast. I vacillate between Richardson's and "minima". Thoughts?

4) Gobs of Canada Geese present, of course.

5) Given the presence of FIVE GOOSE SPECIES in one binocular field of view, is it too much to ask for a sixth? If a sixth goose species were to show up, what do folks think it would be? :-)

Annotated photos to follow.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
19 Dec 2016, 10:13 AM,
Snow geese in front, Ross's in back:

Attached Files Image(s)

19 Dec 2016, 10:15 AM,

Attached Files Image(s)

19 Dec 2016, 10:15 AM,

Attached Files Image(s)

19 Dec 2016, 10:16 AM,
Just Ross's Geese (is the bird on the left a hybrid??):

Attached Files Image(s)

19 Dec 2016, 10:17 AM,
Just Snow Geese:

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  High Country Birding gbotello 0 104 13 May 2018, 6:55 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Kachina Geese ?Cackling? Cactospiza 2 243 7 Apr 2018, 8:25 PM
Last Post: awanderingbirder
  New Year's tour of San Francisco Peaks high country jawilder 1 432 2 Jan 2018, 5:41 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  White goose at Country club tblows 1 880 6 Dec 2016, 5:31 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  continental lakes richarmstrong 0 749 3 Oct 2016, 2:31 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Greater Roadrunner in Country Club, Flagstaff Cactospiza 0 796 18 Sep 2016, 2:34 PM
Last Post: Cactospiza
  High Country Birding gbotello 0 669 16 May 2016, 8:11 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Walnut Canyon Lakes and Continental Golf Course jawilder 0 836 28 Dec 2015, 10:24 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Continental Golf Course Area: Greater White-fronted Geese and Herring Gull jawilder 0 835 11 Nov 2015, 2:45 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Continental area field trip results Tom Linda 1 1,345 15 Feb 2015, 2:54 PM
Last Post: cheyenne395