Louisiana Waterthrush, Page Springs
17 Jan 2017, 11:54 AM,
Louisiana Waterthrush, Page Springs
Sunday, 15 January, I found a Louisiana Waterthrush along the outlet stream from the fish ponds at bubbling ponds/Page Springs. Initially ided as Northern it was  later identified as a Louisiana by Felipe and friends. Photos on ebird.

Vic Nelson
17 Jan 2017, 3:16 PM,
RE: Louisiana Waterthrush, Page Springs
Here's a photo. Caleb Strand did the heavy lifting on ID. Thanks Caleb!

Felipe Guerrero

Attached Files Image(s)

3 Feb 2017, 1:28 PM,
1. nanette & i and sam hough saw the LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH this morning.
2. it never came down to the ditch but spent all the time up in trees above the ditch area.
3. listen for the loud chip note.
4. it seems to have now been in same area for 20 days at least although it can be hard to find.
Rich Armstrong
928-282-3675
4 Feb 2017, 10:48 PM,
2/4/17

I struck out on the Black-throated Blue Warbler in Camp Verde, but I had great luck with the Louisiana Waterthrush at Page Springs! 

It was there when I walked up to the stream around 10:00AM and stayed for about 10 minutes.

A lifer for me!

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

11 Feb 2017, 2:11 PM,
Hi,
The Louisiana waterthrush was there today 2/11), but it required some persistence. I spent around 45 minutes looking for it at the pond outflow and in the nearby trees, beginning around 10am.  I took a walk around the trails, and came back to the spot where I spent another 45 minutes or so at the outflow before it showed up. It was calling quite loudly, and very active. Great find Vic! Thanks for sharing. This was a lifer for me!

I also found what I initially thought was a yellow-bellied sapsucker, but after looking at the photos at home, I think it is a red-naped. While the black stripe around the red throat patch appeared fairly wide and complete in the field, it looks like the black border isn't quite complete. The bird also had a tiny, faint red nape. Any thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
16 Feb 2017, 12:41 PM,
1. the LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH was seen briefly today at 9am in the normal area.
2. it has been seen most every day for the last week, but never seems easy.
3. it appears from who knows where, goes from tree to tree (i have now seen it 3 times and it has never come down to the water), and then disappears to who knows where.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
16 Feb 2017, 1:30 PM,
I struck out with both the Louisiana Waterthrush and the Tennessee Wabler yesterday. I arrived at Page Springs later than I hoped at around 9:15 and it seemed slow from the start. I spent most of my efforts trying to find the Tennessee Warbler and I thought the Waterthrush was actually at the Bubbling Ponds outflow. I spent a little time at the Bubbling Ponds outflow later in the morning, but figured I was too late so I left after a short search. I may have to get up earlier and try again this weekend when I have more time.

I did see a pair of Wood Ducks near the outflow of the Page Springs show pond. I had very good looks, but they quickly disappeared into a backwater on the opposite bank.
21 Feb 2017, 3:20 PM,
The Waterthrush showed up on 2/20/17 from about 11:10-11:20AM in the usual spot.

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

3 Mar 2017, 7:46 PM,
The Louisiana Waterthrush was seen at 11:30 am today, 3 March, in the trees along the outflow.
4 Mar 2017, 5:45 PM,
(11 Feb 2017, 2:11 PM)bhealyphoto Wrote: Hi,
The Louisiana waterthrush was there today 2/11), but it required some persistence. I spent around 45 minutes looking for it at the pond outflow and in the nearby trees, beginning around 10am.  I took a walk around the trails, and came back to the spot where I spent another 45 minutes or so at the outflow before it showed up. It was calling quite loudly, and very active. Great find Vic! Thanks for sharing. This was a lifer for me!

I also found what I initially thought was a yellow-bellied sapsucker, but after looking at the photos at home, I think it is a red-naped. While the black stripe around the red throat patch appeared fairly wide and complete in the field, it looks like the black border isn't quite complete. The bird also had a tiny, faint red nape. Any thoughts?
Hi bhealyphoto and all,

I actually discussed your bird with some friends of mine and we all got the impression that your sapsucker was a Red-naped x Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hybrid. The fairly wide-black malar mark between the red and white suddenly wrapping around the neck slightly (which resembles both spp.), the lack of red in the nape (which can happen with RNSAs occasionally but not often), and the in-between back pattern is what made us lean on that ID. However, I'm not sure if we can be confident that's what it is.

Good Birding,

Caleb
Buckeye, AZ

Taking bird identification past empids and gulls...
4 Mar 2017, 6:37 PM,
(4 Mar 2017, 5:45 PM)Caleb Strand Wrote:

Hi bhealyphoto and all,

I actually discussed your bird with some friends of mine and we all got the impression that your sapsucker was a Red-naped x Yellow-bellied Sapsucker hybrid. The fairly wide-black malar mark between the red and white suddenly wrapping around the neck slightly (which resembles both spp.), the lack of red in the nape (which can happen with RNSAs occasionally but not often), and the in-between back pattern is what made us lean on that ID. However, I'm not sure if we can be confident that's what it is.

Good Birding,

Caleb
Buckeye, AZ

Hey Caleb! Thanks so much for taking a hard look at that bird, and for the response! I think you're right on that one.  There was a tiny/faint bit of red in the nape, but hard to see.  Sapsuckers admittedly, drive me crazy.  Have a nice weekend,
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
4 Mar 2017, 8:35 PM,
(4 Mar 2017, 6:37 PM)bhealyphoto Wrote:
(4 Mar 2017, 5:45 PM)Caleb Strand Wrote:

Hi bhealyphoto and all,

Good Birding,

Caleb
Buckeye, AZ

Hey Caleb! Thanks so much for taking a hard look at that bird, and for the response! I think you're right on that one.  There was a tiny/faint bit of red in the nape, but hard to see.  Sapsuckers admittedly, drive me crazy.  Have a nice weekend,

You're welcome Brian! Smile

You have a nice weekend too and bird on!

Caleb

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Swainson's Thrush, Page Springs sleeper 1 72 14 May 2018, 10:04 AM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Louisiana Waterthrush at Walnut Canyon Lakes Cactospiza 6 471 6 Apr 2018, 7:28 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Louisiana Waterthrush - Bubbling Ponds Roger 4 844 3 Mar 2018, 9:46 AM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Hooded Merganser: Page Springs gbotello 0 255 16 Feb 2018, 9:03 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH at Canyon Creek (Navajo Co.) erh36 0 363 20 Nov 2017, 11:22 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Northern Waterthrush John Hildebrand 0 439 3 Sep 2017, 12:25 PM
Last Post: John Hildebrand
  Tennessee warbler - Page Springs Fish Hatchery apellegrini 4 1,645 18 Feb 2017, 9:15 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  unusual sparrow, Page Springs sleeper 0 629 8 Feb 2017, 4:55 PM
Last Post: sleeper
  Possible Greater Scaup: Page Springs 1/7/17 gbotello 21 4,748 16 Jan 2017, 6:10 PM
Last Post: HollyPK
  Bubbling Ponds - Page Springs Fish Hatchery Zack Zdinak 0 802 25 May 2016, 7:44 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak