Coconino County Bronzed Cowbird
8 Jun 2017, 2:24 PM,
Coconino County Bronzed Cowbird
As no one has reported this to our website, I will.

Kathryn Hart found a Bronzed Cowbird on the fairway grounds at Poco Diablo Resort in Sedona a few days ago.  BB Oros and I drove down today and saw the bird after a half an hour search, not too hard as it was the only bird on the fairway grass.

My Coconino County Lifer #351.  Strong work Kathryn!
Tom
8 Jun 2017, 3:39 PM,
RE: Coconino County Bronzed Cowbird
1. bronzed cowbirds have been very regular in the verde valley in recent years - possibly because of increased birders.
2. there have been multiple reports at the sedona wetlands each spring
3. our yard had a pair that stayed close to a month this spring
4. and lots of other places in the valley as well.
5. so not surprising for 1 in coconino part of the valley, but i suspect the coconino part is underbirded compared to the yavapai part.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
8 Jun 2017, 4:02 PM,
To echo Rich's sentiment, Sedona really is the last frontier of Coconino County birding in some respects (or maybe the vortex of Coconino birding?). There are a handful of species, such as Bronzed Cowbird, that are regular in the Verde Valley and lower Oak Creek but rarely or never documented in Coconino County. These include:
- Curve-billed Thrasher (not recorded for Coconino)
- Abert's Towhee (not recorded for Coconino)
- Cactus Wren
- Black-tailed Gnatcatcher

Perhaps there are others too?

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
8 Jun 2017, 4:08 PM,
With all of the reports from Rich, all from Yavapai County, especially this year, I knew it was just a matter of time until one wandered into Coco. Hopefully a Cactus Wren Will turn up soon.
Tom
8 Jun 2017, 6:37 PM,
Shaun had Cactus Wren in Coconino County in 2011 in Jack's Canyon (l think) ...
8 Jun 2017, 6:51 PM,
(8 Jun 2017, 6:37 PM)Chuck LaRue Wrote: Shaun had Cactus Wren in Coconino County in 2011 in Jack's Canyon (l think) ...

Also they have been found in the county along the river in the western part of the Grand Canyon.
9 Jun 2017, 5:45 AM,
I just checked maps and I believe the spot  where Shaun had Cactus Wren is WSW of Jacks Canyon Tank on the lowest SSE slope of Munds Mountain.  There is a tiny bit of Coconino County there low enough and with enough cacti to appeal to Cactus Wren.
9 Jun 2017, 12:10 PM,
probably not a complete anything, but here are some comments on the coconino part of sedona
1. cactus wren definitely expanding here in valley and is very close - bell roack trail, cathedral rock trail, out toward stoneman lake. you might try whatever the 1st trail in coconino north of voc is.
2. curve-billed thrasher - definitely expanding some in valley especially just north of village of oak creek - same place as cactus wren.
3. abert's towhee has been in our yard (roughly 3 miles of oak creek to coconino from our house) and further up oak creek. we looked for them and failed, but i still think possible. check oak creek just where it enters coconino
4. remember verdin - i saw a couple years ago and posted it and now everyone knows where verdin are in the sedona part of coconino
5. gila woodpecker, cardinal, canyon towhee, ladderback woodpecker, mockingbird - pretty easy in sedona part of coconino and not easy above rim
6. lesser nighthawk - of course you guys surprisingly have some locations above the rim
7. white-winged dove - expanding in sedona area, but of course you guys surprisingly have some locations above the rim
8. bell's vireo - surprisingly seems to get up to oak creek canyon somewhat
9. brown-crested flycatcher - also gets up into oak creek canyon somewhat
10. black-tailed gnatcatcher - i have never seen 1 in valley. there are a lot of sightings in verde valley - most have been by people i have never heard of. that said there are a few sightings pretty close to coconino
11. inca dove is closing in - our yard has had them. and more sightings in lake montezuma area
12. bronzed cowbird - already covered.
13. i can not resist reminding all of you that i have a section of the sedona cbc that is 100% coconino - i hope a group of you will want to do it again next winter
Rich Armstrong
928-282-3675

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Chevelon Crossing area: Montezuma Quail in Coconino County jawilder 0 140 18 Aug 2018, 1:18 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Eastern Coconino playa check jawilder 1 274 24 Jul 2018, 9:18 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Bronzed Cowbird-Meteor Crater RV Park Chuck LaRue 1 258 2 Jun 2018, 11:09 AM
  Mogollon Rim Whip-poor-wills, etc. (Coconino/Gila Co.) erh36 0 198 31 May 2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: erh36
  Taylor; Holbrook BRONZED COWBIRD (Navajo Co.) erh36 0 188 31 May 2018, 12:25 AM
Last Post: erh36
  Bronzed Cowbirds at Poco Diablo golf course Asmith 0 151 4 May 2018, 6:44 PM
Last Post: Asmith
  Coconino Plateau Sprague's Pipit, Red Phalarope, longspurs and more awanderingbirder 19 3,384 1 Dec 2017, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Cassin's Sparrows in Coconino County fplguerrero 9 2,532 27 Aug 2017, 7:31 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Mogollon Rim and Eastern Coconino County: Three-toed Woodpeckers, shorebirds, etc... jawilder 0 803 13 Aug 2017, 2:24 PM
  Coconino County Yellow-billed Cuckoo Tom Linda 2 1,229 18 Jun 2017, 6:06 PM