Nesting California Condors at Navajo Bridge
13 Jun 2017, 10:37 AM,
Nesting California Condors at Navajo Bridge
Last week I conducted my two annual Breeding Bird Survey routes in northern Arizona which took me through Cameron, the Navajo Bridge, Jacob Lake, near the North Rim area of the Grand Canyon, Fredonia and to the Toroweep Ranger Station. As usual, highlights were many including Coconino Co. only known nesting population of VERMILION FLYCATCHER along Altus Lane in Fredonia. Had a nice male there 6 June. The fountain at Jacob Lake (among the cabins behind the gas station) was not running, but still provided great photo ops for the local birds species coming to the small pool of water that remained. This included CASSIN'S FINCHES, PINE SISKINS, and RED CROSSBILLS. On FR-610 along the border of Kaibab NF and Grand Canyon NP boundary, I had to swerve to miss a tiny chick that was marching across the gravel road. I quickly pulled over and noted a hen DUSKY GROUSE with four chicks that were likely only a few days old. There was a male AMERICAN THREE-TOED WOODPECKER in sections of fresh burned forests within a mile or so of Saddle Mountain trailhead. Fire had swept through this area last summer.

Not sure if many are aware of this or not, but visitors to the Navajo Bridge have a very rare opportunity to see an active CALIFORNIA CONDOR nest site, and with a scope, can often actually observe, with a little eye straining, the downy, golden nestling that hatched 30 May. On 8 June around noon, the Peregrine Fund staff were on the bridge with a small table and condor information and a spotting scope directed at the nest site. Visitors were encouraged to view through the scope. As I arrived, timing was also good as five condors flew in, circled low over and even below you on the bridge before perching on sections of the Hwy. bridge or nearby ledges. My eBird checklist with some photos can be seen at: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S37492258. The nest is on the east side (Navajo Nation side) of Marble Canyon and upstream (north) of Navajo Bridge. 

Hope to see you in the field...

Troy Corman
Phoenix, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashurst Lake: Forster's Tern, California Gull, Clark's Grebes jawilder 1 118 27 May 2018, 11:34 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Rezzonico Family Park, at Black Bridge, Camp Verde Zack Zdinak 0 117 15 Apr 2018, 8:45 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Nesting begins Roger 1 393 24 Feb 2018, 6:50 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Herring and California Gulls at Ashurst Tom Linda 7 2,074 2 Nov 2016, 3:07 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Tonto Natural Bridge S.P. White-crowned Sparrows, et al. BCIson 0 832 12 Jun 2016, 3:52 PM
Last Post: BCIson
  hairy woodpecker nesting richarmstrong 2 924 14 May 2016, 8:48 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Navajo Bridge/Lonely Dell/Tappan Springs-Pacific-slope Flycatcher John Coons 1 1,800 25 May 2015, 10:26 AM
  Osprey/California Gull Tom Linda 0 947 21 Mar 2015, 11:55 PM
  Nesting Chickadee rockitart 0 799 28 Apr 2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: rockitart
  Post-Nesting Dispersal: Recent Yardbirds rauler 1 1,277 1 Aug 2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson