Cassin's Sparrows in Coconino County
30 Jul 2017, 2:10 PM,
Cassin's Sparrows in Coconino County
Three Cassin's Sparrows singing from within shrubby grassland habitat between Rattlesnake and Grindstone Washes this morning are possible breeders, irregular and local in Coconino Co.

Felipe Guerrero

Attached Files Image(s)

31 Jul 2017, 5:08 PM,
RE: Cassin's Sparrows in Coconino County
Where are these two washes?
1 Aug 2017, 6:36 PM,
(31 Jul 2017, 5:08 PM)Chuck LaRue Wrote: Where are these two washes?

East of Drake on County Road 71
6 Aug 2017, 1:11 PM,
A painfully thorough check of the grasslands along County Road 71 produced zero Cassin's Sparrows this morning, August 6. Birds seen included Eastern "Lilian's" Meadowlarks, Black-throated Sparrows, Lark Sparrows, Swainson's Hawks (likely a breeding pair), and a cool Roadrunner. There was also a very cool bolus of bees in a tree that allowed a very close approach. An interesting corner of the county!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

6 Aug 2017, 3:40 PM,
(6 Aug 2017, 1:11 PM)jawilder Wrote: A painfully thorough check of the grasslands along County Road 71 produced zero Cassin's Sparrows this morning, August 6. Birds seen included Eastern "Lilian's" Meadowlarks, Black-throated Sparrows, Lark Sparrows, Swainson's Hawks (likely a breeding pair), and a cool Roadrunner. There was also very cool bolus of bees in a tree that allowed a very close approach. An interesting corner of the county!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

I checked along Fire Road 27 a couple of days ago, from Putney Flat north to I-40 at Monte Carlo Rd., and had no Cassin's Sparrows there either.
7 Aug 2017, 12:19 PM,
To add one more data point from the area just south of Ash Fork: there were also no Cassin's Sparrows in the grasslands between Highway 89 and I-40 along FR 35/Welch Road.

I think we can deduce that that this little corner of the world is, at most, sparsely inhabited by Cassin's Sparrows at the present time.

Jason
11 Aug 2017, 6:04 PM,
Route 66 between Ash Fork and Truxton produced 31 Cassin's Sparrows this morning. The highway crosses parts of Yavapai, Coconino, and Mohave Cos. - each of which hosted CASP - and contains much more suitable habitat than I was able to cover today. Hopefully more folks get out that way soon to add to our growing picture. On that note, semidesert grassland communities in Mohave, from Hackberry south to Wikiup, and the Hualapai Valley north of Kingman also contain suitable habitat for Cassin's Sparrow. Two, one east and one north of Kingman, on 22 and 28 July, respectively, is a good indication we should search the area more thoroughly.

Felipe Guerrero

Attached Files Image(s)

13 Aug 2017, 1:48 PM,
John Coons and I trekked out beyond Seligman to see if we could find Cassin's Sparrows in Felipe's reported spots. We did very well at the Coconino/Yavapai county line beyond the turnoff to Pica Camp (the county line crosses the road unmarked in several places for anyone thinking of visiting the area for their county birdlist). Here we had at least 5 CASP, with several singing and skylarking. We made several additional stops all the way to the Mohave County line, and this was the only spot that Cassin's Sparrows were evident.

Other interesting birds seen along Route 66 between Seligman and the county line included a dark-morph Swainson's Hawk, a light-morph Ferruginous Hawk and a flock of at least 20 Common Nighthawks.

Cassin's Sparrow:

Swainson's Hawk:

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
20 Aug 2017, 9:18 AM,
I managed to survey stretches of semidesert grassland in Mohave yesterday, from near Wikiup north to Hackberry, and found 10 Cassin's Sparrows in two locations: adjacent to Knight Creek between Cane Springs and Moss Washes (7), seventeen miles north of Wikiup, and along Hackberry Wash seven miles southeast of Hackberry (3). I wasn't able to make it north into the Hualapai Valley where I was overwhelmed by the scale of seemingly suitable habitat as I drove past on my down to Kingman around 1:00.

Attached Files Image(s)

27 Aug 2017, 7:31 PM,
Three Cassin's Sparrows on Coconino Plateau at Cataract Canyon this morning are possible breeders.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coconino Plateau Sprague's Pipit, Red Phalarope, longspurs and more awanderingbirder 19 1,424 1 Dec 2017, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Cassin's Sparrows in Yavapai Co. fplguerrero 6 1,287 22 Aug 2017, 8:10 AM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Mogollon Rim and Eastern Coconino County: Three-toed Woodpeckers, shorebirds, etc... jawilder 0 408 13 Aug 2017, 2:24 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Apache/Navajo Co. Cassin's Sparrows, Vermilion Flycatcher, etc. erh36 0 387 21 Jul 2017, 9:51 AM
Last Post: erh36
  Cassin's Sparrows in Lonesome Valley, Yavapai Co. fplguerrero 0 455 10 Jul 2017, 10:25 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Coconino County Yellow-billed Cuckoo Tom Linda 2 791 18 Jun 2017, 6:06 PM
  Coconino County Bronzed Cowbird Tom Linda 7 1,238 9 Jun 2017, 12:10 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  coconino vs yavapai richarmstrong 4 965 5 Mar 2017, 8:37 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Coconino County Grass- and Rangeland birding over New Years weekend jawilder 0 992 4 Jan 2016, 10:54 AM
  First of fall Cassin's Finches in Navajo County erh36 3 1,262 30 Sep 2015, 8:10 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda