Mogollon Rim and Eastern Coconino County: Three-toed Woodpeckers, shorebirds, etc...
13 Aug 2017, 2:24 PM,
Mogollon Rim and Eastern Coconino County: Three-toed Woodpeckers, shorebirds, etc...
On Friday afternoon I drove south out of Flagstaff on an overnight tour to the Mogollon Rim Road (FR 300). This is an area of the county I've never explored, and boy is it spectacular. My route went south out of Flagstaff to Mormon Lake and Happy Jack, along the Mogollon Rim from Highway 87 to near Bear Canyon Lake, north on FR34/County Road 99 to Winslow, then over to Leupp, Round Cedar Playa and back to Flagstaff. I did quite a bit of hiking in the snowmelt draws that flow north off of the Rim. I'd heard stories about the maple thickets and lush vegetation in these canyons (it's one of the wettest spots in AZ), and it really is impressive and unusual for AZ.

Some bird highlights:

Mormon Lake: Baird's, Least, Western and Spotted Sandpipers at Fulton Pond near the village; scope views of the Common Crane from the rodeo grounds at the village

Rim Road: 2 American 3-toed Woodpeckers near Myrtle Point, Northern Pygmy-Owl, Crissal Thrasher, Hermit, Black-throated Gray, many Red-breasted Nuthatches, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Grace's and Virginia's Warblers, 4 (!) bears, 1 fox, many elk and mule deer

Route 99 south of Winslow: Interesting grassland with Canyon Towhee, Eastern Meadowlark, and lots of expected sparrows (no Cassin's though)

Leupp STP: About 20 Wilson's Phalarope, plus one juvenile Red-necked Phalarope

Round Cedar Playa: dry, appears to have been missed by all recent storms

Some scenery:

Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Eastern Phoebe at Raymond Ranch jawilder 9 326 3 hours ago
Last Post: Tom Linda
  eastern meadowlarks around Flagstaff? bhealyphoto 4 403 14 Jan 2018, 7:43 AM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Coconino Plateau Sprague's Pipit, Red Phalarope, longspurs and more awanderingbirder 19 2,091 1 Dec 2017, 10:48 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Continuing shorebirds at Ashurst, Gray Catbird at Double Springs jawilder 2 506 26 Oct 2017, 10:08 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Shorebirds south of Flagstaff 9/9 bhealyphoto 0 326 10 Sep 2017, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Cassin's Sparrows in Coconino County fplguerrero 9 1,872 27 Aug 2017, 7:31 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Shorebirds at Mormon Lake jawilder 4 914 20 Jul 2017, 10:16 AM
Last Post: sleeper
  Coconino County Yellow-billed Cuckoo Tom Linda 2 926 18 Jun 2017, 6:06 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Coconino County Bronzed Cowbird Tom Linda 7 1,543 9 Jun 2017, 12:10 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  coconino vs yavapai richarmstrong 4 1,133 5 Mar 2017, 8:37 PM