Meteor Crater & Buffalo Range Rd: Montane species, interesting flycatchers
5 Oct 2017, 11:14 AM,
Meteor Crater & Buffalo Range Rd: Montane species, interesting flycatchers
Meteor Crater RV Park had very high activity this morning, including a number of species of interest for the location. Notable, were a handful of species that are unusual away from the mountains: 1 Cassin's Finch, 1 Lewis's Woodpecker and 1 Townsend's Solitaire. A Lewis's Woodpecker was also seen on Saturday, 30 September at Raymond Ranch, suggesting possible widespread movement of this species.

Other birds at Meteor Crater included very strong numbers of flycatchers...about half a dozen Hammond's and one Gray. Robins are increasing and I found two Hermit Thrushes skulking about. There were many Yellow-rumped Warblers (all Audubon's) and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.

At Buffalo Range Road I was surprised to find a second Cassin's Finch at Anderson Canyon, suggesting the possibility that this species may have a major irruption year.

Here are some pictures of the very cooperative flycatchers today. I think that all the birds are Hammond's Flycatchers, but I am perplexed at the difference in bill color of the last bird (#3) in the series below.

Flycatcher #1 (2 pics):

Flycatcher #2 (2 pics):

Flycatcher #3 (2 pics) - this bird has a long primary projection (makes me think Hammond's), but a bright orange bill...thoughts?:

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
6 Oct 2017, 6:03 AM,
RE: Meteor Crater & Buffalo Range Rd: Montane species, interesting flycatchers
Birds of North America Online has the answer I was looking for regarding the bright orange lower mandible of the third Hammond's Flycatcher above:
"Lower mandible dusky with slightly paler base in adults to mostly orange in immatures (Pyle 1997c).“
Odd that this trait isn't mentioned more often in field guides.

Jason
6 Oct 2017, 1:35 PM,
RE: Meteor Crater & Buffalo Range Rd: Montane species, interesting flycatchers
Lewis's Woodpecker at Wupatki HQ Friday.  Also a Flicker at 3 other sites along that road, migration.

Also had a bird at Doney Picnic Area (USFS within Wupatki) that was rufous brown over the whole back.  Didn't look like a long tail of Brown Thrasher; brief look, I reported it as a Veery.  That was about 8:55 AM.  Birds were staying in Junipers so probably not worth a trip out unless you want to harvest Juniper berries.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meteor Crater: Hermit X Townsend's hybrid jawilder 0 54 16 Sep 2018, 7:19 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Meteor Crater: Black-and-White Warbler jawilder 0 69 8 Sep 2018, 10:44 AM
  Meteor Crater: Good birds and some advice jawilder 0 116 1 Sep 2018, 1:33 PM
  Meteor Crater: Pacific-slope Flycatcher(s) and other Empids jawilder 0 50 30 Aug 2018, 11:15 AM
  Round Cedar, Luepp and Meteor Crater: Shorebirds and other migrants jawilder 3 234 7 Aug 2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Meteor Crater RV Park - 7 Aug jawilder 0 66 7 Aug 2018, 2:40 PM
  Bronzed Cowbird-Meteor Crater RV Park Chuck LaRue 1 222 2 Jun 2018, 11:09 AM
  Meteor Crater: Chestnut-sided Warbler jawilder 0 141 30 May 2018, 9:38 AM
  Eastern Bluebird Meteor Crater RV Park tshedwall 5 190 26 May 2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: John Coons
  Unusual thrasher at Meteor Crater jawilder 5 230 17 May 2018, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue