Continuing shorebirds at Ashurst, Gray Catbird at Double Springs
8 Oct 2017, 10:28 AM,
Continuing shorebirds at Ashurst, Gray Catbird at Double Springs
Many shorebirds continue at the south end of Ashurst Lake this morning, 8 October, though nothing new that hasn't been reported in the past few days. Highlights include a Black-bellied Plover and adult Baird's Sandpiper. 58 Least Sandpipers were the only peeps seen. There were 48 Long-billed Dowithcers and both Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs as well. No gulls or terns were evident on any of the lakes.

At Double Springs there was an incredibly skulky Gray Catbird that was very tough to get looks at. Also, a "Myrtle" Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
21 Oct 2017, 1:25 PM,
RE: Continuing shorebirds at Ashurst, Gray Catbird at Double Springs
The Gray Catbird continues at Double Springs, 21 October. Also present was a very accommodating Slate-colored Fox Sparrow, which is a bird I see much less than annually above the Rim.

Shorebirds at Ashurst Lake included Least Sandpipers, Greater Yellowlegs and a Black-necked Stilt.

First-winter Ring-billed Gulls were at Ashurst and Upper Lake Mary (one apiece).

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
26 Oct 2017, 10:08 AM,
RE: Continuing shorebirds at Ashurst, Gray Catbird at Double Springs
A couple days ago Tom Linda reported a Common Loon at Ashurst. It was still there this morning, 26 October, sitting more or less in the dead center of the lake. As I watched it in the scope it reared up, flapped its wings, and opened its mouth...the sound of the loon calling hit me on the shore a half second or so later. This is one of my favorite sounds in nature and a real treat to hear in Northern AZ.

The southern end of the lake still has a nice collection of shorebirds. Least Sandpiper numbers seem actually to be increasing...there were 60+ there today. Also 29 Long-billed Dowitchers, 1 Black-necked Stilt, and 1 Greater Yellowlegs. A Dunlin has been reported on and off in the last week; I have not seen it myself, but there is quite a bit of good shorebird habitat at the southern end of the lake where it could hide.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Possible "Sooty" Fox Sparrows at Double Springs jawilder 0 131 3 Oct 2018, 11:48 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Round Cedar Playa: Sanderling, other shorebirds jawilder 0 83 26 Aug 2018, 11:40 AM
  Round Cedar, Luepp and Meteor Crater: Shorebirds and other migrants jawilder 3 250 7 Aug 2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Cameron: Worm-eating Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler, Gray Catbird, N. Waterthrush jawilder 2 257 9 May 2018, 11:44 AM
  Shorebirds south of Flagstaff 9/9 bhealyphoto 0 484 10 Sep 2017, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Unusual [edit: MOURNING] warbler at Double Springs jawilder 4 1,165 1 Sep 2017, 10:57 AM
Last Post: John Coons
  Mogollon Rim and Eastern Coconino County: Three-toed Woodpeckers, shorebirds, etc... jawilder 0 779 13 Aug 2017, 2:24 PM
  Shorebirds at Mormon Lake jawilder 4 1,288 20 Jul 2017, 10:16 AM
Last Post: sleeper
  Willow Bend odds and ends (returning catbird) jawilder 2 1,108 25 May 2017, 8:49 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Catbird at Lower Lake Mary Dam rauler 1 864 23 May 2017, 10:09 AM
Last Post: jocrouse