White-winged Scoter at Ashurst Lake
5 Nov 2017, 11:56 AM,
White-winged Scoter at Ashurst Lake
A brave group of 14 birders ventured out to Ashurst Lake for an NAZ field trip today.  The wind was ferocious but the birding was great.

Anne Pellegrini spotted a scoter that we identified as a white-winged, only the 2nd I've seen in the state.

Others birds of interest were 2 Common Loon, 3 Bonaparte's Gull sand 3 Red-breasted Merganser.

Fun times trying to keep ourselves from being blown away.
Tom
5 Nov 2017, 2:25 PM,
RE: White-winged Scoter at Ashurst Lake
Sorry to have missed the field trip today, Tom, but I got to Ashurst around 11:15 and had no trouble finding a Common Loon and a Bonaparte's Gull. I eventually found the scoter at the north end of the lake, but could not locate a RBME (or any shorebirds).

I also had a flock of Red Crossbills, a Bald Eagle and a Greater Roadrunner.
6 Nov 2017, 11:28 AM,
(5 Nov 2017, 11:56 AM)Tom Linda Wrote: A brave group of 14 birders ventured out to Ashurst Lake for an NAZ field trip today.  The wind was ferocious but the birding was great.

Anne Pellegrini spotted a scoter that we identified as a white-winged, only the 2nd I've seen in the state.

Others birds of interest were 2 Common Loon, 3 Bonaparte's Gull sand 3 Red-breasted Merganser.

Fun times trying to keep ourselves from being blown away.
Tom

Attached Files Image(s)

7 Nov 2017, 12:40 PM,
I had no luck turning up any scoters at Ashurst Lake this morning, 7 November, but there were plenty of other goodies.

At the south end of the lake were 151 American Avocets (a pretty solid count for November!), 14 Bonaparte's Gull's (also a nice count!), 10 Ring-billed Gulls and the long-staying Long-Billed Dowitchers and Least Sandpipers.

At the north end of the lake were a couple idiots with guns shooting at ducks on the lake that was also pretty crowded with people all around its shore, 4 Common Loons, and a handful of Red-breasted Mergansers.

Bonaparte's Gulls are really one of the most beautiful gulls to photograph:

The avocet herd (Ring-billed Gulls on the left):

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
8 Nov 2017, 12:16 PM,
This Ross's Goose was resting with 6 Canada's on the lake yesterday. I thought they left the lake after teo poaching hunters started shooting at ducks. Their plate # was sent to authorizaties.

Kathryn Hart reports the birds back today

Also seen were 2 late late Caspian Tern. They were sitting on the south shore, but took off before I could get a foto. The juvenile bird was begging.
Tom

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ashurst Lake Neotropic Cormorant Chuck LaRue 0 47 31 May 2018, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  Ashurst Lake: Forster's Tern, California Gull, Clark's Grebes jawilder 1 83 27 May 2018, 11:34 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Cataract Lake White-fronted Goose NorthernAZbirds 1 183 15 Apr 2018, 5:47 PM
Last Post: Cactospiza
  White goose over Lake Elaine jawilder 4 422 6 Mar 2018, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Fwd: Chuska Mtns. WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, PINE GROSBEAKS; NORTHERN SHRIKE erh36 0 421 15 Dec 2017, 12:13 AM
Last Post: erh36
  red fox sparrow - Little Spring and white-winged junco - Wilson Meadow apellegrini 8 915 29 Nov 2017, 7:54 AM
Last Post: apellegrini
  Ashurst Lake field trip Tom Linda 1 368 1 Nov 2017, 12:46 PM
  Dunlin at Ashurst Lake Tom Linda 0 341 12 Oct 2017, 9:48 AM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Ashurst Lake: Dunlin and American White Pelicans jawilder 3 828 6 Oct 2017, 9:12 AM
  Common Tern at Ashurst Lake, more terns elsewhere... jawilder 0 422 23 Sep 2017, 12:17 PM