Sandhill Cranes at Many Farms Lake
30 Nov 2017, 2:49 PM,
Sandhill Cranes at Many Farms Lake
Work took me to northeastern AZ yesterday and this morning I was up early in my motel room in Chinle and decided to check out Many Farms Lake (about 12 miles north of Chinle). I arrived at the lake just before dawn in perfect windless conditions and immediately heard the bizarre noises of Sandhill Cranes from the southeast corner of the lake. I drove around and got a good look at a flock of 92 birds. Just after dawn they departed to the northeast toward some agricultural fields. I drove around thinking I’d catch up to them foraging in a stubble field, but never managed to find them again. It strikes me that if I’d arrived 20 minutes later I’d have had no clue that the birds were there.

Sandhill Cranes are sparse all over northern AZ, with only a handful of records from the Navajo Reservation. Of course, the area gets very little coverage and birds may go undetected. I do wonder if these birds think they might spend the winter at Many Farms. The lake has a decent amount of water, with extensive mudflats in its southeastern corner. For anyone interested in planning ahead, it looks to be set for epic shorebird conditions in the spring. The lake is the only major body of water in the Chinle Wash drainage, which is a major north-south corridor squeezed between Black Mesa to the west and Chuska Mountains/Defiance Plateau to the east.

Stops at the Leupp STP on my travels produced 3 California Gulls yesterday, which were replaced by 6 Ring-billed Gulls today. I wish that place was more convenient to check!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
30 Nov 2017, 4:42 PM,
RE: Sandhill Cranes at Many Farms Lake
That's spectacular Jason.  Now I have to completely rethink every thought I've had about Sandhill Cranes in northern Arizona.
Tom

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fwd: Taylor (Navajo Co.) Sandhill Cranes erh36 0 379 3 Mar 2017, 1:13 PM
Last Post: erh36
  RFI Sandhill Crane ebonyraven 2 675 7 Oct 2016, 7:15 PM
Last Post: nopoint
  Mormon Lake Sandhill Crane jawilder 5 1,637 21 Jul 2016, 8:54 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Many Farms Lake DRY !!! DaveBriddon 1 1,101 17 Jul 2013, 4:44 AM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Sandhill Cranes and Brewer's Sparrows near Woodruff Chuck LaRue 1 810 17 Jan 2011, 9:27 PM
  Many Farms Lake erh36 0 411 21 Mar 2010, 10:47 PM
  Sandhill Crane and Vermilion Flycatcher Paula_T 1 761 21 Dec 2009, 12:48 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Sandhill Cranes Canyonbirder 1 1,249 24 Oct 2008, 10:53 AM
Last Post: ebonyraven
  Many Farms Lake gull and terns Mark Stevenson 0 899 9 Sep 2008, 2:43 PM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Prothontary Warbler in Cameron and shorebirds at Many Farms Lake Chuck LaRue 0 983 19 May 2007, 9:59 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue