Rose-breasted Grosbeak-Cameron
2 Dec 2017, 3:11 PM,
Rose-breasted Grosbeak-Cameron
A Rose-breasted Grosbeak was present at the Cameron courtyard on Tuesday 28 November 2017. This is the latest date I am aware of on the Navajo Nation. A Downy Woodpecker and Red-naped Sapsucker were also present. None of these birds were seen on Saturday 2 December 2017.
16 Dec 2017, 9:45 AM,
RE: Rose-breasted Grosbeak-Cameron
According to a photo posted to eBird, this bird continued as of yesterday, 15 December:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41102264
16 Dec 2017, 10:24 AM,
Neat!
27 Dec 2017, 11:41 AM,
Glo & I saw the grosbeak in the courtyard late yesterday, apparently subsisting on cheesy snacks (see photo).

Ron

Attached Files Image(s)

7 Jan 2018, 4:02 PM,
I finally had time to go after this bird, hoping that cheesy snack suppliers had kept it in place. Alas. My Arizona bogey bird continues. Thirty-three years and counting ...

My best bird at Cameron was a Sagebrush Sparrow at Battery Acid Pond.
7 Jan 2018, 5:28 PM,
wups...I forgot to post that the bird was in the courtyard on Tuesday 2 January 2018....
11 Jan 2018, 4:56 PM,
The Rose-breasted Grosbeak was still at Cameron today. Apparently his New Year's resolution was to give up junk food and eat more fruit.

11 Jan 2018, 5:55 PM,
If you want this bird for your 2018 list then don't invite me along. I am cursed.
(I did look in those berry trees ...)
15 Jan 2018, 3:04 PM,
Hopefully you'll try again Terry!  The grosbeak was in the SE corner of the courtyard yesterday morning (1/14), this time eating seeds (the nut equivalent for the new 2018 diet?).  I did have to wait around a little for it to show up.

Anne
23 Jan 2018, 3:34 PM,
Made an impromptu trip to bird a few areas around Cameron on Tuesday 23 January 2018. The Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed at the courtyard along with two Crissal Thrashers. Two Green-winged Teal were at battery acid pond. This species is moving north by late January. BAP is lower than I have ever seen it. It is fed by the river's alluvial aquifer which must be dropping as a result of the continuing Great Dry Spell of 2017-18. IIRC BAP was dug out/created in the early 1990s. A third Crissal Thrasher was seen (and heard singing) about a mile and half up Tanner Crossing wash...a Sagebrush Sparrow and 25 American Goldfinches were in this area as well. What a contrast the martian-like aspect of this area is from the high forests of the San Francisco Peaks where Jason and Tom and I did a few trips a couple weeks ago. A hike in the tamarisk along the river produced White-crowned Sparrows, a Loggerhead Shrike and a Long-eared Owl which flushed from its roost on the ground.
23 Jan 2018, 8:17 PM,
(23 Jan 2018, 3:34 PM)Chuck LaRue Wrote: Made an impromptu trip to bird a few areas around Cameron on Tuesday 23 January 2018.  The Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed at the courtyard along with two Crissal Thrashers.  Two Green-winged Teal were at battery acid pond. This species is moving north by late January. BAP is lower than I have ever seen it. It is fed by the river's alluvial aquifer which must be dropping as a result of the continuing Great Dry Spell of 2017-18. IIRC BAP was dug out/created in the early 1990s.  A third Crissal Thrasher was seen (and heard singing) about a mile and half up Tanner Crossing wash...a Sagebrush Sparrow and 25 American Goldfinches were in this area as well.  What a contrast the martian-like aspect of this area is from the high forests of the San Francisco Peaks where Jason and Tom and I did a few trips a couple weeks ago. A hike in the tamarisk along the river produced White-crowned Sparrows, a Loggerhead Shrike and a Long-eared Owl which flushed from its roost on the ground.

Chuck, is Tanner Crossing Wash the Bendire Thrasher spot?

Joe
24 Jan 2018, 8:12 AM,
Let's see...it's still January and we're up to 3 species with the word 'Grosbeak' in their name already seen in Coconino (Rose-breasted, Evening and Pine). Two more, Blue and Black-headed, are in the cards eventually. I'll buy an ice cream for anyone who finds a 6th grosbeak this year!

Jason
24 Jan 2018, 8:36 AM,
(24 Jan 2018, 8:12 AM)jawilder Wrote: Let's see...it's still January and we're up to 3 species with the word 'Grosbeak' in their name already seen in Coconino (Rose-breasted, Evening and Pine). Two more, Blue and Black-headed, are in the cards eventually. I'll buy an ice cream for anyone who finds a 6th grosbeak this year!

Jason

Heck, why stop there? Let's get a Yellow Grosbeak! I saw one last fall......unfortunately it was in the aviary at the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum.
24 Jan 2018, 8:52 AM,
Exactly...you find the Yellow Grosbeak (or any other grosbeak not already mentioned), and I'll buy you an ice cream!
25 Jan 2018, 11:00 AM,
(23 Jan 2018, 8:17 PM)jocrouse Wrote:
(23 Jan 2018, 3:34 PM)Chuck LaRue Wrote: Made an impromptu trip to bird a few areas around Cameron on Tuesday 23 January 2018.  The Rose-breasted Grosbeak showed at the courtyard along with two Crissal Thrashers.  Two Green-winged Teal were at battery acid pond. This species is moving north by late January. BAP is lower than I have ever seen it. It is fed by the river's alluvial aquifer which must be dropping as a result of the continuing Great Dry Spell of 2017-18. IIRC BAP was dug out/created in the early 1990s.  A third Crissal Thrasher was seen (and heard singing) about a mile and half up Tanner Crossing wash...a Sagebrush Sparrow and 25 American Goldfinches were in this area as well.  What a contrast the martian-like aspect of this area is from the high forests of the San Francisco Peaks where Jason and Tom and I did a few trips a couple weeks ago. A hike in the tamarisk along the river produced White-crowned Sparrows, a Loggerhead Shrike and a Long-eared Owl which flushed from its roost on the ground.

Chuck, is Tanner Crossing Wash the Bendire Thrasher spot?

Joe

No.  That is further up river. this spot is just a short distance up the river from Cameron. Take the first right north of the hyw 89 bridge and go a couple miles or so tot he first big sandy wash. The thrasher spot is maybe 8 to 10 miles beyond that. there are several large sandy washes flowing south to the river in that area.
27 Jan 2018, 2:14 PM,
I spent a fruitless couple of hours (11am-1pm) in a chilly courtyard this morning awaiting the arrival of my Arizona nemesis bird. Alas, I should know better. A curse is a curse is a curse.

Chuck's Crissal's Thrashers are still there, as are the American Goldfinches that I saw on my last trip. Otherwise just the usual suspects (RNSA, WCSP, DEJU, HOFI, HOSP).
27 Jan 2018, 4:34 PM,
I saw the bird before 11 and after 1...give it one more try avoiding the middle part of the day??
27 Jan 2018, 5:20 PM,
stopped by today around 2:45 on our way back from Lees Ferry and didn't see it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Handsome Rose Breasted Grosbeak in yard in Swiss Manor eharding 5 271 14 May 2018, 7:18 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak? rauler 2 795 31 Aug 2017, 9:25 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Flagstaff Rose-breasted Grosbeak jawilder 8 2,226 10 May 2017, 4:07 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak nopoint 2 1,115 17 Dec 2016, 4:58 PM
Last Post: nopoint
  FWD: Rose-breasted Grosbeak awanderingbirder 0 838 31 Aug 2016, 9:17 PM
Last Post: awanderingbirder
  Swiss Manor: Rose-breasted grosbeak jawilder 3 1,488 28 Jun 2016, 8:10 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  White Pelicans, Rose-breasted Grosbeak in Parks rauler 0 866 19 Jun 2016, 3:34 PM
Last Post: rauler
  First Rose-Breasted Grosbeak & other yard birds JohnNHolly 0 859 15 May 2016, 11:08 AM
Last Post: JohnNHolly
  Rose-breasted Grosbeak Kip Stransky 1 1,173 2 Dec 2015, 1:32 PM
Last Post: Kip Stransky
  Williams Rose-Breasted Grosbeak NorthernAZbirds 9 4,185 12 May 2015, 9:55 AM
Last Post: NorthernAZbirds