Purple Finch at Walnut Canyon Ponds
9 Jan 2018, 2:27 PM,
Purple Finch at Walnut Canyon Ponds
I found a likely Purple Finch at the south waterfall today, drinking with a group of Cassin's Finch.

The bird was noticably darker and chunky with a brownish streaked back, dingy white breast and belly,  with dark, thick streaking extending to a white undertail.  The head was peaked with a thick neck, dull white surrounding a dark auricular.  The  bill was conical.  It stuck out like a sore thumb. Unfortunately, because the wind had dust flying everywhere, I left my camera in my car.

I was able to watch the bird from 20 feet for about a minute, and I'm highly confident this was a purple finch, having seen many in my life and having so many examples of House and Cassin's Finch around for comparison.

I only wish I had my camera with me and hopefully it will be seen again.
Tom
9 Jan 2018, 3:20 PM,
RE: Purple Finch at Walnut Canyon Ponds
Somebody get a picture!
9 Jan 2018, 5:32 PM,
I stopped by the ponds after work. A female Cassin's Finch was right at the waterfall when I arrived, and all the other finches I saw were House Finch. A Cedar Waxwing stopped in as well. A "Richardson's" Cackling Goose continues across from FAC near the golf course pond.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
Yesterday, 10:10 AM,
Jason Wilder started a lively email conversation with a few of us regarding Carpodacus finches, along with a photo quiz.

As a result, I'm removing my PUFI report and paying more attention to detail with this difficult group.

Thanks for the fun Jason!
Tom
Yesterday, 12:30 PM,
As Tom mentioned, going through photos online made me fairly certain that I need to do some work on my Carpodacus finches - especially the females! As a result, I deleted from eBird a sight record of mine from 2011 of a silent female-type bird that I identified at the time as Purple Finch. That ID definitely might be correct, but I'd like to be more sure.

Jason

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Walnut Canyon Lakes Dark Raptor Cactospiza 1 212 8 Nov 2017, 4:20 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Purple Martins at MNA Jodi Griffith 0 397 1 Jul 2017, 3:42 PM
Last Post: Jodi Griffith
  Meteor Crater: Lark Bunting and early Black-headed Grosbeak; Walnut Canyon: NECO jawilder 0 443 6 Apr 2017, 10:01 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  goose variety at Walnut Canyon, Flag. sleeper 6 1,222 9 Dec 2016, 1:34 PM
Last Post: asiders
  Walnut Canyon Lakes Raptor Identification Katbird 3 974 1 Dec 2016, 7:15 PM
Last Post: Katbird
  Hooded Mergansers - Walnut Canyon Ponds John Coons 0 499 18 Nov 2016, 11:57 AM
Last Post: John Coons
  Cattle Egrets at Walnut Canyon Lakes rauler 0 552 21 Aug 2016, 11:13 AM
Last Post: rauler
  dead purple martin yard bird Zack Zdinak 0 561 4 Aug 2016, 8:38 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Muscovy Duck at Walnut Canyon Lakes Tom Linda 1 666 9 Jul 2016, 9:39 AM
Last Post: cheyenne395
  Walnut Canyon Lakes jocrouse 2 795 20 Apr 2016, 8:21 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak