eastern meadowlarks around Flagstaff?
13 Jan 2018, 1:43 PM,
eastern meadowlarks around Flagstaff?
Hi,
I was just at the Walnut Canyon Ponds, and came across a group of about 8 meadowlarks in the field near the north end of the ponds. When they flew, they had extensive white in their tails, with brown central tail feathers. Unfortunately I hadn't brought my field guide with me, but when I got home I checked my Sibley, which suggests they were eastern.  How common are they around Flag, and how reliable is the mostly white tail as an indicator of eastern vs. western?

Thanks
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
13 Jan 2018, 4:42 PM,
RE: eastern meadowlarks around Flagstaff?
Hi Brian, I'm hardly an expert, but I do try to figure them out whenever I get a decent look. Jason once mentioned that the Lilian's Eastern Meadowlark has enough white tail feathers that the brown patch in the center looks square or rectangular, whereas in the Western the brown patch looks more wedge shaped. That has seemed pretty reliable to me. I think I had one of each on Buffalo Range road today. I initially ID'd them by my perception of how much white was in the tails, and when I got home I looked at my photos. Their facial patterns seemed to correspond with what I came up based on their tails. As far as how common they are, I know there were several Lilian's Eastern's at Kachina Wetlands relatively recently.
Tom
13 Jan 2018, 7:06 PM,
Thanks Tom! Sounds consistent with Eastern to me.
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com
14 Jan 2018, 6:54 AM,
Brian,
I would be cautious about basing an ID on an impression of a lot of white in the tail. Westerns can give this impression as well. The trick that Tom mentioned - to focus the shape created by the central tail feathers - works well, but takes practice. The best way to do this is to look carefully at birds that you've ID'd by voice, which is by far the most distinctive feature of Eastern versus Western Meadowlarks.
Eastern Meadowlarks have been increasing in numbers all around the city at lower elevations. I'm a little surprised that they would be here in town, but anything is possible.

Jason
14 Jan 2018, 7:43 AM,
Thanks for the input! Maybe I should just leave it as "eastern/western." Maybe they're still around and someone else will get a better look.

Thanks again!
Brian
bhealyphoto@gmail.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buffalo Range Road: Wet Winter, Eastern Meadowlarks jawilder 0 477 16 Feb 2017, 11:59 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Eastern Kingbird, Little Colorado above Cameron Chuck LaRue 0 704 3 Jun 2016, 4:47 PM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  eastern phoebe page springs richarmstrong 0 647 14 Feb 2016, 12:10 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Grasslands north of Flagstaff: Chestnut-collared Longspur and Eastern Meadowlarks jawilder 2 1,307 30 Jan 2016, 12:03 PM
  Ashurst Lake Meadowlarks Tom Linda 1 719 22 Aug 2015, 5:12 AM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Grasslands north of Flagstaff: Burrowing Owls and Eastern Meadowlarks jawilder 0 900 15 Aug 2015, 11:56 AM
  FW: Eastern Kingbird at Cow Springs Lake jawilder 1 952 6 Sep 2014, 1:59 PM
Last Post: NorthernAZbirds
  FW: Eastern Kingbird, Cataract Lake Mark Stevenson 4 2,339 28 May 2014, 9:18 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Eastern Bluebird, Montezuma Lake nopoint 15 6,018 15 Feb 2014, 6:51 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Eastern Kingbird, Pine, 7 Sept zsgavilan 0 871 7 Sep 2013, 9:45 PM
Last Post: zsgavilan