Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LCR at Cameron
9 Mar 2018, 8:15 AM,
LCR at Cameron
I stopped at Cameron Trading Post yesterday. I walked down to the bridge to look at the river bed and noticed there is water in the channel about 1/4 mile downstream (west) of the bridge. I'm assuming it's effluent from somewhere. I've only been there a few times so I don't know if that water is always there, but there was some green looking vegetation right there. Has anyone birded that spot? If not, it looks like it could be promising. Tom
9 Mar 2018, 2:33 PM,
RE: LCR at Cameron
I saw that also.  Looks like a seep to me.  Also looks like a path behind the motel that goes down to the river.
9 Mar 2018, 3:03 PM,
RE: LCR at Cameron
That is the "Lower Seep" and it has seen some good birds. Access is via a path from behind the trading post or by walking downstream from the old truck route access road by the little sewage treatment plant (on the east side of 89A). At one point there was a small agricultural plot tucked away in the tamarisks that took advantage of the Lower Seep's outflow, the nature of the crop being grown made me much less thrilled about exploring the area alone. I've seen no evidence of that particular enterprise for many years...

Jason