Sycamore Canyon - lots of good birds
30 Apr 2018, 2:09 PM,
Sycamore Canyon - lots of good birds
I was down in Tucson this weekend visiting family and spent Saturday morning hiking Sycamore Canyon in the Pajarita Wilderness along the Mexican border west of Nogales. This is absolutely fabulous scenery and habitat, but under-birded because of the rough remote country and proximity to the border. Highlights in this well-watered canyon included numerous white-nosed coati, 8+ Elegant Trogons (highly vocal), Thick-billed Kingbirds, two Five-Striped Sparrows, and a surprising Blackpoll Warbler among other more common migrants and southern AZ residents.

I failed miserably to get a photo of the Blackpoll Warbler, which seemed to work hard to not give me a chance with my camera. This was made up for by some really leisurely opportunities to enjoy two Five-striped Sparrows. These birds seemed much more engaged with each other than they were concerned about me. The birds were spontaneously chatting in the canyon less than a mile from the Mexican border and I managed some nice audio:

Photo opportunities were good too:

Coati:

I also swung by the stakeout Streak-backed Oriole in central Tucson, which has been present for several weeks. Watching feeders in other people's yards is just about my least favorite way to bird, and fortunately the oriole showed up the minute I arrived:

Not a bad weekend!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sinaloa wren in Ramsey Canyon, need thoughts on other possible birds Birding4Fun 2 2,062 1 Aug 2015, 7:28 AM
Last Post: Birding4Fun