Oriole Bonanza at Meteor Crater
6 May 2018, 12:42 PM,
Oriole Bonanza at Meteor Crater
It was a blockbuster morning at Meteor Crater, with four oriole species present. All flavors of Bullock's Oriole were in numbers, with many looking really sharp. Also, an adult Scott's oriole was a treat. Even better was an immature male BALTIMORE ORIOLE. Finally, a female oriole was present that may be an Orchard Oriole, though I am also having trouble ruling out Hooded Oriole. The only other unusual bird I saw was a Gray Catbird. Present in numbers were MANY House Wrens, Green-tailed Towhees, and White-crowned Sparrows, also 5+ Hermit Thrush and 3 Eastern Meadowlarks on the lawns. Warblers included a smart-looking Nashville, Orange-crowned, Wilson's and many Yellow-rumps. I didn't get to spend as much time out as I'd of liked, and I'm sure I missed something good.

Baltimore Oriole:

Orchard/Hooded Oriole:

Gray Catbird:

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
6 May 2018, 12:57 PM,
RE: Oriole Bonanza at Meteor Crater
Also, this Empid that I'm struggling with:

6 May 2018, 3:48 PM,
RE: Oriole Bonanza at Meteor Crater
Hoping to track down some of Jason's birds this morning, I got out to Meteor Crater RV Park about 11:00 am and the first bird I saw was a Rufous-crowned Sparrow hopping about in the grassy lawn. The two pink flowering trees, whose flowers had dried and fallen a lot since last Wednesday, were attracting lots of birds including the four species of orioles that Jason described.  Even with the increasing wind there were birds all over the place.  As many as six Green-tailed Towhees were in a single binocular view and a plethora of House Wrens were exploring the freshly mowed lawns and the bark of trees.  At least five Hermit Thrushes were seen as was a Northern Waterthrush near the shower building.  It took we awhile to find the Gray Catbird.  A couple of Pine Siskins seemed late at this locale as was a Cassin's Finch in the flowering tree.  Many Yellow-rumps, a couple of Orange-crowned warblers, two Wilson's, the waterthrush, and a Common Yellowthroat were the only warblers.  It was a lot of fun and I finally managed to pull myself away after nearly three hours.

FYI - The gas pumps at the store are being reconstructed so it is roughly twenty miles either way on I-40 to the closest fuel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meteor Crater: Hermit X Townsend's hybrid jawilder 0 54 16 Sep 2018, 7:19 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Meteor Crater: Black-and-White Warbler jawilder 0 68 8 Sep 2018, 10:44 AM
  Meteor Crater: Good birds and some advice jawilder 0 116 1 Sep 2018, 1:33 PM
  Meteor Crater: Pacific-slope Flycatcher(s) and other Empids jawilder 0 50 30 Aug 2018, 11:15 AM
  Backyard Bird Bonanza! gbotello 0 76 25 Aug 2018, 6:48 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Round Cedar, Luepp and Meteor Crater: Shorebirds and other migrants jawilder 3 234 7 Aug 2018, 10:49 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Meteor Crater RV Park - 7 Aug jawilder 0 66 7 Aug 2018, 2:40 PM
  Bronzed Cowbird-Meteor Crater RV Park Chuck LaRue 1 221 2 Jun 2018, 11:09 AM
  Meteor Crater: Chestnut-sided Warbler jawilder 0 140 30 May 2018, 9:38 AM
  Eastern Bluebird Meteor Crater RV Park tshedwall 5 189 26 May 2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: John Coons