Cameron: Spring 2018
10 May 2018, 10:08 AM,
Cameron: Spring 2018
Rather than continually propagating new posts, I'm starting a new "Cameron: Spring 2018" thread that I'll be updating when I visit (and others can too!).

Today, 10 May, there was a brief visit from a Northern Parula to a puddle in the courtyard. Also present was a female Black-and-White Warbler, which makes it a different individual than the male that was there on Tuesday. Tappan Spring had a Black-crowned Night Heron, Virginia Rail and nice collection of expected warblers (including Northern Waterthrush). The Cameron Sewage Treatment ponds had 34 American Avocet, 4 Blue-winged Teal, 1 smart Eared Grebe and ~10 Spotted Sandpipers.

For the record, the last 7 days in the Cameron have been a remarkable run: Hooded Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Worm-eating Warbler, Black-and-White Warbler (2) and Northern Parula. I usually associate the peak of the spring oddball season with the second half of May, so there could be more good birds coming.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
13 May 2018, 11:29 AM,
RE: Cameron: Spring 2018
Not a whole lot going on in Cameron, Sunday, May 13:
  - Northern Waterthrush at the seep in the riverbed downstream of the Trading Post
  - Gray Catbird (likely continuing) at Tappan Spring
  - Adult California Gull at Cameron sewage ponds
  - Courtyard had a female Phainopepla and female Blue Grosbeak, both new spring arrivals for me
  - Chuck LaRue reports a female Lesser Nighthawk near the pond at the old truck crossing on Saturday, May 12

California Gull:

Jason
17 May 2018, 9:41 AM,
Ovenbird is present in the Courtyard today, 17 May. Not much other activity at any of the other Cameron spots. On the AZ/NM listserv Charlie Babbitt reported a possible female Orchard Oriole on Monday 14 May at the pond by the old truck crossing.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
19 May 2018, 2:44 PM,
The Ovenbird continues in the Cameron Courtyard today, 19 May. It was harder to see today because it spent very little time foraging; as a consolation, though, it sang frequently, and it was a real treat to hear it ringing throughout the courtyard.

At a cottonwood bosque about 5 miles upstream from Cameron, a Chaetura swift was foraging with a flock of swallows. Chuck and I had long leisurely looks at the bird. To the extent that one of the small swifts is "expected" in northern AZ, it is Vaux's, but I was able to get a large number of serviceable photos that make me not want to jump too quickly to exclude Chimney. More study needed!

Full Flickr album of swift photos can be seen here.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
24 May 2018, 10:55 AM,
Double Crested Cormorant perched on gift shop roof.  American Redstart in courtyard, probably first year male.
24 May 2018, 12:26 PM,
Chuck and I found a buffy White-throated Sparrow and a first year male American Redstart in the courtyard early today.  We left for about 90 minutes and birded Tappan Spring, with nothing noteworthy there to report except a few dead horses in the dry creek, including the skeleton of that poor, horribly wounded mare that we saw in the last Fall. Very disturbing.

Back at the courtyard we found a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak which sang and moved about the courtyard conspicuously.

We checked the seeps along the LCR and found Battery Acid Pond to be pretty active with a couple Common Yellow-throat, Yellow-rumped, a few sparrows, etc, but the standout was a stunning male Vermillion Flycatcher, uncommon above the room. 

Weather was perfect.
Tom
27 May 2018, 8:25 AM,
(24 May 2018, 12:26 PM)Tom Linda Wrote: Chuck and I found a buffy White-throated Sparrow and a first year male American Redstart in the courtyard early today.  We left for about 90 minutes and birded Tappan Spring, with nothing noteworthy there to report except a few dead horses in the dry creek, including the skeleton of that poor, horribly wounded mare that we saw in the last Fall. Very disturbing.

Back at the courtyard we found a male Rose-breasted Grosbeak which sang and moved about the courtyard conspicuously.

We checked the seeps along the LCR and found Battery Acid Pond to be pretty active with a couple Common Yellow-throat, Yellow-rumped, a few sparrows, etc, but the standout was a stunning male Vermillion Flycatcher, uncommon above the room. 

Weather was perfect.
Tom

The White-throated Sparrow was still there on 5/26/18. Also of note was a Green-tailed Towhee. 

Not much else was around, probably due to the high winds in the afternoon. 

While this is probably a Black-headed Grosbeak (the upper bill appears to be darker, but the light was low and there were leaves & branches blocking a clear view of it), the streaking on the breast may suggest Rose-breasted Grosbeak. Unfortunately, it remained in thick vegetation, so this is the best look that I had of it.

Any thoughts as to whether or not this may be a Rose-breasted?

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

27 May 2018, 9:54 AM,
Looks Black-headed to me, Gary.

Jason
27 May 2018, 8:38 PM,
(27 May 2018, 9:54 AM)jawilder Wrote: Looks Black-headed to me, Gary.

Jason

Ok, I figured that was what it was, but it doesn't hurt to check, considering this location.

Thanks, Jason!

Gary
3 Jun 2018, 4:31 PM,
Spring migration really seems to have ended. There were very few migrants in the Cameron area today, 3 June, and really very few birds in general. Late stragglers included White-crowned Sparrow (dark-lored) and Green-tailed Towhee. A male Indigo Bunting had a mouth full of what I think might have been nesting material.  All in all it was very quiet...perhaps this thread has reached its conclusion.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
4 Jun 2018, 7:18 AM,
Jason, I was there on June 2, and had much the same birds. There was a Lincoln's Sparrow in the courtyard.

Down at Battery Acid Pond, there was an empid that puzzled me. My first impression was of a Willow (brownish, white throat, not much of an eye ring, pretty good sized bill with a yellow underside). As I watched the bird though, I noticed a green back that contrasted with the brown head, and a slight eye ring. This got me wondering about a possible Alder, so I stayed with the bird, hoping it would vocalize. Anyhow, it never vocalized, and though I never got a perfect look at the bill, I wasn't sure it was big enough for Willow/Alder, and I started to wonder if it was just a Dusky. Eventually the bird disappeared and I left confused.
4 Jun 2018, 7:27 AM,
Brian,
I think I saw the same Empid at the pond. I did not get good looks, but thought it was probably a Willow. Hope springs eternal for Alder, of course!
Jason
4 Jun 2018, 10:35 AM,
Someday I'll find an Alder.... I am sure that I had one at Desert View 3 years ago, but did not get a recording.

On another tangentially related note, I just got word of yet another Northern Arizona Ovenbird from this spring.

Bryan Brown (author of the previous edition of Grand Canyon's annotated bird checklist), Mark Cavallo, and Molly Madden observed and photographed an Ovenbird at Cliff Spring on the North Rim on 17 May 2018.
5 Jun 2018, 2:16 PM,
One of the joys of declaring spring migration dead is being wrong. Chestnut-sided Warbler reported in the Cameron Courtyard today, 5 June, via ebird:
https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S46328075

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meteor Crater RV Park - May 2018 John Coons 0 127 2 May 2018, 2:07 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  First Three 2018 tblows 14 1,246 9 Jan 2018, 4:44 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Willow Flycatchers at Cameron Seep, plus Little Elden Spring Tom Linda 0 666 10 May 2010, 9:39 AM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Cameron/Rimmy Jim/Elden Spring Tom Linda 0 941 3 Sep 2007, 5:35 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda