Tennessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden
15 May 2018, 11:04 AM,
Tennessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden
This morning on a run I was stopped in my tracks by a distinctive, loud, staccato song in the forest at the base of Mt. Elden, just west of Trinity Heights. I pished in a small warbler which sat 12 feet directly overhead in a newly leafing-out Gambel's Oak. With no binocs (or camera) I could clearly see a short-tailed warbler-sized bird uniformly clean and white below, and with a dark eyeline, gray face and crown (no views of the back). The bird sang again several times at close range as I watched. Without song, I might have passed the bird off as a Warbling Vireo, which is the only similar-looking species I can think of that is expected. The song, however, was very distinctive, and clearly not WAVI. For anyone looking to track down the bird, the song I heard was 'Song #2', here:

https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird...ee-warbler

Here is a near-exact location:

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
15 May 2018, 12:18 PM,
RE: Tenessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden
Also, I got to wondering about whether or not a Tennessee Warbler should be singing in migration and away from breeding grounds, and so was gratified to read this in Birds of North America: "Sings during spring migration (mid- to late May)...During migration, often sings while foraging in midcanopy".
15 May 2018, 2:01 PM,
Nice find!  Bit, I can't  find the song you're referencing in the above link.
T
15 May 2018, 2:53 PM,
Tom, here's a direct link to "Song #2" on the Audubon site.
20 May 2018, 10:58 AM,
RE: Tennessee Warbler singing at base of Mount Elden
A bit late, but I can confirm that Tennessee warblers sing during migration. In fact, they sing almost non-stop. One of my most vivid memories from spring migration is the cacophony of Tennessee warblers in the forests at Tensas NWR in Louisiana in early May. They nearly drowned out all of the other species present.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tennessee Warbler at Desert View Canyonbirder 0 438 30 Aug 2017, 7:49 AM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  Tennessee warbler - Page Springs Fish Hatchery apellegrini 4 1,701 18 Feb 2017, 9:15 AM
Last Post: gbotello
  Elden Spring: Painted Redstarts, "Myrtlebon's" (?) Warbler jawilder 2 1,229 26 Apr 2016, 9:24 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Elden Spring FOY Virginia's Warbler, singing Cassin's Finch jawilder 0 833 13 Apr 2016, 8:52 AM
  Elden Spring: Virginia's Warbler, Bushtits jawilder 3 2,227 10 Apr 2014, 9:45 AM
Last Post: eharding
  Paradise Spring (SW Base of Elden) rauler 0 862 29 Aug 2013, 3:22 PM
Last Post: rauler
  Elden Spring: Hermit Warbler swarm, migrants jawilder 0 1,056 17 Aug 2013, 8:47 AM
  Elden Spring - Fall migrants arrive, early Nashville Warbler jawilder 4 2,937 13 Aug 2013, 10:19 AM
Last Post: Curt Fultz
  Mount Baldy, White Mts: usual White Mountain suspects & White-crowned Sparrows jawilder 1 2,159 24 Jun 2013, 8:31 AM
  Mount Elden Black-chinned Sparrows jawilder 1 1,345 21 Jun 2013, 8:36 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak