Eastern Bluebird Meteor Crater RV Park
25 May 2018, 11:09 AM,
Eastern Bluebird Meteor Crater RV Park
Calling near jungle gym and lawn area behind store. More details later.
25 May 2018, 5:46 PM,
RE: Eastern Bluebird Meteor Crater RV Park
This bird has been refound by Jason and BB later in the day. It was calling in a tree near the jungle gym, then flew to a tree not far away. A short while later I could hear it from the bench outside the store, but it was difficult to pinpoint it's location. 

I uploaded a 10 second video that includes the call and a lot of wind noise.
https://youtu.be/Mnxql6D_x-8
25 May 2018, 7:37 PM,
Another great find Tom! I found the bird with a single note when I walked onto the back lawn, but it was silent after that. The wind was pretty strong.  I continued to bird the nearby areas, and after about 40 minutes it started calling robustly from the same tree.  Finally, it flew down from the canopy and gave us nice looks and lots of calling.  I don't see any ebird records for Eastern Bluebird, but I suppose it's been seen before.
Tom
25 May 2018, 7:49 PM,
Definite Eastern Bluebird. The bird was kind enough to stick around until later this afternoon for me to catch up with it. Fantastic find, Tom.

The white belly with highly contrasting rufous flanks and chest as well as the rufous on the sides of the neck distinguish this from female Western Bluebird. And, of course, the call note, which carried surprisingly far through the RV park even in hellacious wind.

Now, I guess the next question is whether or not this bird is a vagrant from the east (the sialis subspecies) or a vagrant from the south (the fulva subspecies)? From a brief scan I can't find any reference to differences in the appearance of females of the two subspecies, but I may easily be missing something.

And, speaking of difficult identification problems, I found this "Western" Flycatcher hunkered down behind an RV that was blocking the wind. Is a lowland "Western" in late May more likely to be Cordilleran or Pacific-slope?

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
25 May 2018, 9:21 PM,
Attached below is a bit of audio of the bird's call that Tom sent me from the field. I amplified it a bit, and focused on two clear calls:

.wav   EABLE_clip.wav (Size: 171.61 KB / Downloads: 10)
26 May 2018, 10:59 AM,
Chuck LaRue and I checked Meteor Crater RV Park this morning and found no bluebird.  The Ovenbird, American Redstart, and one of the Bendire's Thrashers were still present.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bronzed Cowbird-Meteor Crater RV Park Chuck LaRue 1 93 2 Jun 2018, 11:09 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Meteor Crater: Chestnut-sided Warbler jawilder 0 49 30 May 2018, 9:38 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Unusual thrasher at Meteor Crater jawilder 5 140 17 May 2018, 12:11 PM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  Oriole Bonanza at Meteor Crater jawilder 2 259 6 May 2018, 3:48 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  Meteor Crater RV Park - May 2018 John Coons 0 127 2 May 2018, 2:07 PM
Last Post: John Coons