Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
catbirds at Willow Bend, Flag
2 Jul 2018, 4:00 PM,
catbirds at Willow Bend, Flag
Referring to eBird posts.  When the  catbird's singing was winding down this year I considered that they were nesting or the hormones were winding down.  New report said 2 catbirds were pished out of the willows they nested in a previous year and they went away from the potential nest site.  Sad (ugh, can't believe used that phrase).
3 Jul 2018, 11:04 AM,
RE: catbirds at Willow Bend, Flag
Hi Roger, I'm the guilty pisher of course. I had seen two birds earlier in June, and had not seen anyone else report two. I had also seen a few recent Willow Bend reports with no Catbird and was curious if they had moved on or were actually a pair or what. I also noticed that a young birder who I have met, but don't know how to contact, had mentioned on Ebird that he was hoping to see a Catbird but wasn't sure he was looking in the right spot. Anyway, that was my motivation to put some effort into seeing if one or more birds were still there. My detailed description was intended to help out the young birder. I had assumed they had previously nested in the hillside willows and was surprised to see them both fly out of the willows in the wash. I try not to harass birds too much, but I realize my mere presence causes disturbance to some birds while others put up with a lot. Tom
5 Jul 2018, 8:44 AM,
Hi Tom! This is Brian (the young birder). Thanks a lot for your description of the catbirds' location! It was very helpful. I looked there briefly on 3 July at about 10 am and could not find it, but I will continue to look.
5 Jul 2018, 11:58 AM,
Success! I found one catbird today that flew into the oak clump where you described at 10:15 am (15 minutes after I got there). A new state bird for me and one I haven't seen in a while! Thanks a bunch, Tom, for helping me to find this fantastic bird!