Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Flagstaff
4 Jul 2018, 3:51 PM,
Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Flagstaff
I was surprised to hear a Pacific-slope Flycatcher vocalizing in my yard in east Flagstaff at 6:00 am today, 4 July.  I chased it down the street in an attempt to record its voice but it got away.  This date is approaching the end of about a three week period when there are very few reports for the state.  Perhaps drought conditions throughout the west will cause more abnormal movement.

An hour later a screaming call drew me out to see a juvenile Peregrine Falcon circling the neighborhood.  I suspect this species nests somewhere on Mt. Elden.
5 Jul 2018, 9:41 AM,
RE: Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Flagstaff
Just curious--how did you know it was Pacific-slope?  We still have Cordillerans calling daily in our Flagstaff neighborhood.  I am no empid expert, but I've read in a few places that these two species are generally indistinguishable by voice (see here: http://earbirding.com/blog/archives/2996)
5 Jul 2018, 3:16 PM,
RE: Pacific-slope Flycatcher - Flagstaff
I have seen the accounts of the issues about similarities in the song and calls of these two species and am aware there is dispute about some of the findings.  In the appropriate breeding habitat for Cordilleran Flycatcher in the Flagstaff area I have yet to hear the call notes, that to me sound like a backwards rendition of Cordilleran, that are generally attributed to Pacific-slope Flycatcher throughout Arizona.  During migration, the majority of lowland and away-from-breeding habitat "Western" Flycatchers give this call when either vocalizing on their own or in response to playback and are generally asserted to be Pacific-slope Flycatchers by most Arizona birders.  I live in east Flagstaff and am not in appropriate breeding habitat for Cordilleran and have never heard one in my yard though they certainly breed within 1 1/2 miles of my house.  Until conclusive data is shown, I and colleagues are fine in calling these birds Pacific-slope Flycatchers.  Good question and thanks for bringing it up.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Elden Spring: Pacific-slope Flycatcher jawilder 0 80 4 Sep 2018, 8:33 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Meteor Crater: Pacific-slope Flycatcher(s) and other Empids jawilder 0 79 30 Aug 2018, 11:15 AM
  East of Flagstaff: Vermilion Flycatcher, etc jawilder 0 847 17 Sep 2016, 1:37 PM
  Elden Spring: Good migrant show, probable Pacific-slope Flycatcher jawilder 12 4,346 22 Aug 2015, 9:46 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Navajo Bridge/Lonely Dell/Tappan Springs-Pacific-slope Flycatcher John Coons 1 1,837 25 May 2015, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Elden Spring: Pacific-slope Flycatcher jawilder 5 2,384 24 Sep 2013, 4:24 AM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Pacific-slope Flycatcher question erh36 5 2,444 20 Aug 2013, 9:30 AM
Last Post: Canyonbirder
  Elden Spring: Pacific-slope Flycatchers jawilder 1 1,248 16 Aug 2013, 9:28 AM
  FWD: Vermilion Flycatcher - The Arboretum at Flagstaff ebonyraven 1 1,053 18 May 2013, 4:23 PM
Last Post: ebonyraven
  sedona pacific-sloped flycatcher richarmstrong 0 3,835 18 Apr 2013, 11:14 AM
Last Post: richarmstrong