Allen's Hummingbird at Cave Springs
18 Jul 2018, 8:58 PM,
Allen's Hummingbird at Cave Springs
This evening, 18 July, there is an adult male Allen's Hummingbird coming to the campground host's feeder at the Cave Springs Campground. There are many Rufous Hummingbirds, including at least two with smudgy green backs, but the Allen's has a very extensively green back and I was able to get pictures of the spread tail which shows the thin and pointy tail feathers and lack of tail notch that distinguish Allen's from Rufous. This is a first record of this species for Coconino County.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
18 Jul 2018, 9:03 PM,
RE: Allen's Hummingbird at Cave Springs
Also present is an adult male Calliope Hummingbird and a magnificent adult male Rivoli's Hummingbird.

20 Jul 2018, 12:03 AM,
Chuck LaRue and I drove down to Cave Springs this afternoon and relocated the Allen's Hummingbird found by Jason yesterday.  The bird showed up 3 times while we were there and afforded nice diagnostic looks.

The Calliope also showed well as well as a Rivoli's.

Of note is that the parking area outside of the campground is now posted with "no parking" signs.
Tom
22 Jul 2018, 2:22 PM,
Lynn Yeager and I went to Cave Springs Campground this morning where we encountered Kathryn Hart.  Beginning at 7:40 am and watching about an hour we saw three visits of the Allen's Hummingbird at the feeders of the campground host.  These are the feeders that are suspended by the post, not the ones at the window of the RV.  The male Calliope and a probable female Calliope made visits about every 20 minutes.  Interestingly, there was no hint of the Rivoli's Hummingbird.

We parked at the entrance to the campground and saw no signage about parking that was different from the past few years.
22 Jul 2018, 2:35 PM,
For what it's worth, I only saw the Rivoli's use the feeders stuck to the RV window. While I watched, the Allen's definitely preferred the suspended feeders, but I did see it go to the RV window once. I found it difficult to watch both sets of feeders at once!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
23 Jul 2018, 12:41 PM,
(22 Jul 2018, 2:35 PM)jawilder Wrote: For what it's worth, I only saw the Rivoli's use the feeders stuck to the RV window. While I watched, the Allen's definitely preferred the suspended feeders, but I did see it go to the RV window once. I found it difficult to watch both sets of feeders at once!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

I went to Cave Springs on both Saturday (7/21) & Sunday (7/22) at around 9:00AM and stayed for around 2 hours for on both days, but as far as I can tell, I did not see the Allen's Hummingbird.

On Saturday, I did come up with one good candidate, but upon closer investigation, to me, the r2 tail feathers looked wedged, making me feel it was a green-backed Rufous. I will include pics (one a close-up of the tail), though, just in case I am wrong (I am hoping that I am wrong).

On Sunday, I did not even see one green-backed Rufous.

I did get good looks on both days of the Male Calliope and Rivoli's. On Sunday, a female Rivioli's also appeared for a brief time, but not long enough to get a picture.

As a side note, for the past few years of observing the Rivioli's, I have usually seen it between 9:30AM and 10:15AM, so maybe it is a late riser. This time, it showed up exclusively at the hanging feeders between those hours.

Gary

Attached Files Image(s)

23 Jul 2018, 7:23 PM,
Gary,
 That notched tail feather is diagnostic for Rufous.

Jason
24 Jul 2018, 9:35 AM,
(23 Jul 2018, 7:23 PM)jawilder Wrote: Gary,
 That notched tail feather is diagnostic for Rufous.

Jason

I thought so.

Thanks, Jason.

Gary
26 Jul 2018, 10:02 AM,
A check of the Cave Springs Campground this morning, 26 July, produced no sign of the Allen's Hummingbird (and no green-backed Rufous either). One male Calliope and two male Rivoli's were present among larger numbers of Broad-tailed, Black-chinned and Rufous Hummingbirds.

I think the Yellow-throated Vireo was singing on the entrance road, but never got a visual to confirm.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rivoli's Hummingbird (Edit: Broad-billed Hummingbird) Tee Dub 1 241 9 Jun 2018, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Tee Dub
  Cave Springs 4/14/18 gbotello 1 167 15 Apr 2018, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Roger
  Grace's Warbler: Cave Springs 4/7/18 gbotello 1 196 8 Apr 2018, 6:01 PM
Last Post: Roger
  FOS Painted Redstart Cave Springs gbotello 2 285 23 Mar 2018, 7:21 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  American Dipper - Cave Springs jocrouse 5 463 23 Mar 2018, 6:12 PM
Last Post: jocrouse
  FW: Blue-throated Hummingbird in Flagstaff - EDIT: it's a Rivoli's Hummingbird jawilder 1 687 7 Sep 2017, 6:41 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Yellow-throated Vireo Cave Springs Campground Katbird 2 1,210 7 Jun 2017, 5:15 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Greater Pewee at Cave Springs Tom Linda 1 848 27 Apr 2017, 10:34 AM
  Cave Springs 4/22/17 gbotello 1 838 23 Apr 2017, 5:26 PM
Last Post: bhealyphoto
  Cave Springs 4/15/17 gbotello 0 621 15 Apr 2017, 10:02 PM