Lawrence's Goldfinch at Kachina Wetlands
29 Sep 2018, 6:47 PM,
Lawrence's Goldfinch at Kachina Wetlands
    I went birding at Kachina Wetlands with Richard Hofstetter today (9/29/18). We looked for the Sabine's Gull but because it was so windy, the attempt was unsuccessful. We did, however, see two adult male Lawrence's Goldfinches at the southwest corner of the wetlands (near the house). They were part of a large mixed flock moving through the forest and stayed for about 10 seconds at the base of a pine tree next to the puddle before flying off. Here are the photos I managed to catch:

[Image: image.gif]
30 Sep 2018, 1:50 PM,
RE: Lawrence's Goldfinch at Kachina Wetlands
I had no luck finding the Lawrence's Goldfinches this morning, 30 Sept. There is a fairly incredible number of Lesser Goldfinches to sort through in that quadrant of the wetlands complex. I'm guessing I saw at least 350 LEGOs. So, picking out a Lawrence's was a bit of a needle in a haystack endeavor, and the haystack definitely won this morning. Birds were transiting between the sunflowers in the dry wetland cells and the ponderosas. Many were coming into the large puddle near the very SW edge of the complex to drink (maybe this is the same spot the Lawrence's were seen?). Lots of yellow-rumps, Pine Siskins, Spizella sparrows and a few Orange-crowned Warblers were in the mix too.

Good numbers of Lawrence's have been reported state-wide in the last 10 days, and this is the second Coconino report already. Definitely a bird to watch for in the next few weeks - they can show up anywhere.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
30 Sep 2018, 2:11 PM,
To clarify, the Lawrence's were seen together at the puddle at the sw corner. I am sorry to hear they could not be relocated, but hopefully we'll see more soon! (maybe because of Rosa)
1 Oct 2018, 1:50 PM,
Great find Brian. There was a single male LAGO in the same general location this morning.
1 Oct 2018, 7:00 PM,
I'm very glad to hear it! I hoped they would return, but it seemed unlikely, so it's encouraging one did!
2 Oct 2018, 9:36 AM,
There was a female Lawrence's Goldfinch spotted yesterday by a pair of visiting birders also near the SW corner of the wetlands complex - at the southern end of the dike running between Cells 4 & 6. I refound the bird this very wet morning (2 October) in a sunflower patch in Cell 6, mixed in with many Lesser Goldfinch and Pine Siskins. I hunted around quite a bit, but could not find the male LAGO(s)...conditions were not optimal, though.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lawrence's Goldfinch - Cornville Roger 0 60 23 Nov 2018, 8:25 AM
Last Post: Roger
  lawrence's goldfinches richarmstrong 0 122 6 Nov 2018, 2:32 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Sabine's Gull at Kachina Wetlands Tom Linda 0 193 24 Sep 2018, 3:18 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Lawrence's Goldfinch and Dickcissel at Twin Arrows Oasis Tom Linda 1 181 13 Sep 2018, 4:15 PM
Last Post: jawilder
  Burrowing Owl - Kachina Wetlands asiders 1 174 4 May 2018, 10:52 AM
  Red-breasted Mergansers at Kachina Wetlands tshedwall 1 256 3 Apr 2018, 4:13 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Mexican Mallards at Kachina Wetlands tshedwall 0 282 2 Mar 2018, 6:10 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Possible Bell's Sparrow at Kachina Wetlands tshedwall 0 374 3 Feb 2018, 3:36 PM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Snow Goose at Kachina Wetlands TimR74 1 450 1 Feb 2018, 6:19 PM
  Ross's goose at Kachina Wetlands 12/23/17 bhealyphoto 1 492 23 Dec 2017, 5:20 PM
Last Post: dsrosenberg1@cox.net