American Crows - Cornville
17 Nov 2018, 8:55 AM,
American Crows - Cornville
A flock of at least a dozen AMCR in residential Cornville (N. Aspaas Rd) yesterday was unexpected. Crows are seldom observed away from the two principal Verde enclaves of lower Camp Verde and Village of Oak Creek golf courses. I can't recall ever seeing crows in Cornville.
17 Nov 2018, 10:15 AM,
RE: American Crows - Cornville
1. crows seems to be expanding a little from the flock of about 30 in village of oak creek.
2. i see them in our yard quite often (not very significant as i live across oak creek from verde valley school road and this is only 5 miles from the golf courses as the crow flies).
3. but there have been some sightings near traffic circles in sedona, a couple in city of sedona, a couple sightings at sedona wetlands as well.
4. i had never heard of any as far as cornville so maybe they are moving even more.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
17 Nov 2018, 6:31 PM,
That count is surely low - I noted 40+ in a single flock in September - but doesn't necessarily detract from your point regarding expansion. I wonder if there isn't a seasonal component to it also; moving around post-breeding towards known food sources, eg. the pecan orchards that were a favorite in Camp Verde a couple of decades ago.

There are some winter records from UVX Road in Cottonwood and elsewhere, but these were mostly singles or pairs.
17 Nov 2018, 8:30 PM,
I live right on the resort golf course in the VOC. This past August I observed a murder of crows comprised of 66 individuals, by far the largest number I have had in three years of living here.
18 Nov 2018, 5:21 PM,
FWIW (and I'd have to check), it seems northern crows show up around Flagstaff in November...bigger flocks that are around for awhile then disappear.
18 Nov 2018, 5:36 PM,
I thought all but the northernmost populations were sedentary, and even then were only short-distance migrants. Do migrant AMCR augment southern populations during winter?