Snowflake-Taylor CACKLING GEESE, SANDHILL CRANES (Navajo Co.)
21 Jan 2019, 7:16 PM,
Snowflake-Taylor CACKLING GEESE, SANDHILL CRANES (Navajo Co.)
Yesterday (1/20/19) I birded with Nick and Connie Worth over in Snowflake-Taylor (Navajo Co.) where we saw 24 of the continuing SANDHILL CRANE flock in the farm lands behind the Walmart in Taylor and four CACKLING GEESE at the gravel pit ponds along Cottonwood Wash in Snowflake, presumably the same flock as the three first reported by John Wilson and his family on Jan. 12. Photos of the geese can be seen in my eBird list below. I showed the geese photos to David Vander Pluym and he thought these appeared to be of the 'minima' subspecies. This is apparently a first county record for the geese and the cranes are an increasing winter resident locally. Another highlight was a male RED-BREASTED MERGANSER seen flying with Mallards as small flocks spooked. A handful of the Mallards present appeared to be MEXICAN DUCK x MALLARD hybrids. Several hundred ducks and geese have been overwintering here, hanging out in the ponds and foraging on the adjacent farm fields. Behind the Walmart in Taylor we also saw ~50 BREWER'S BLACKBIRDS, which are local wintering residents around agricultural areas in the area, while most of the species winters south of the Mogollon Rim in the state. 

The gravel pit ponds along Cottonwood Wash and Old Bypass Rd. just upstream of the confluence with Silver Creek are part of a recently opened location where the town is apparently planning an open access walking/biking path. A few others were out walking and we also met John Wilson and family birding there. I've renamed the hotspot (I started this one), although it hasn't updated yet. I kept the pinpoint at the same spot since this is the trailhead parking. If the trail gets an official name in the future as it becomes more established, the name can always be changed then. The parking is along Hwy. 77 immediately north of the bridge over Cottonwood Wash as you head north out of Snowflake. You park in the dirt lot and walk under the highway bridge to access what Google Maps calls Old Bypass Rd. You can walk along the old paved road and even some of the dirt berms between the gravel pit ponds to view them. There are also adjacent ephemeral farm fields, ponds, and stringers of willows, weedy patches, and old cottonwoods.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51880632

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S51876090

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cackling Goose at Walnut Canyon Ponds jawilder 0 150 11 Dec 2018, 9:12 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  sandhill crances camp verde richarmstrong 2 216 9 Dec 2018, 10:43 AM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Sandhill Cranes north of Snowflake Chuck LaRue 0 174 1 Nov 2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Chuck LaRue
  Fwd: VARIED BUNTING in Taylor (Navajo Co.) erh36 1 301 31 May 2018, 12:42 AM
Last Post: erh36
  Taylor; Holbrook BRONZED COWBIRD (Navajo Co.) erh36 0 258 31 May 2018, 12:25 AM
  Kachina Geese ?Cackling? Cactospiza 2 320 7 Apr 2018, 8:25 PM
Last Post: awanderingbirder
  Sandhill Cranes at Many Farms Lake jawilder 1 539 30 Nov 2017, 4:42 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Fwd: Inca Dove in Taylor (Navajo Co.) erh36 0 420 5 Oct 2017, 9:01 PM
  Fwd: Taylor (Navajo Co.) Sandhill Cranes erh36 0 718 3 Mar 2017, 1:13 PM
  Cackling Goose at Kachina Wetlands tshedwall 1 989 18 Feb 2017, 6:39 PM
Last Post: bhealyphoto