Red-breasted Sapsucker in University Heights (Flagstaff)
10 Feb 2019, 8:03 AM,
Red-breasted Sapsucker in University Heights (Flagstaff)
This report of a Red-breasted Sapsucker showed up on eBird yesterday morning: https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52518243

I happened to be nearby with binoculars and a camera in the car when I saw the report and managed to quickly find the target bird working the trees in the apartment complex at the northwest corner of Litzler Dr. and University Heights Drive North. In addition to the Red-breasted Sapsucker, there were two Red-naped Sapsuckers (sometimes all in the same tree) - occasional altercations would send sapsuckers flying all directions, but none of them seemed to stray very far.

I don't have a lot of experience with Red-breasted Sapsuckers, but a quick study of the literature makes this bird look good for the southern form - the daggetti subspecies. Hybirdization between Red-naped and Red-breasted Sapsuckers makes identification a little tricky, but this bird looks to be in range for a relatively pure Red-breasted individual.

If anyone has the time and energy, all four species of sapsucker are present in the general area of Flagstaff right now - it would be impressive to see them all in one day!

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
10 Feb 2019, 12:35 PM,
RE: Red-breasted Sapsucker in University Heights (Flagstaff)
This species is quite common around my 'other home' in San Jose, California - usually in Pepper Trees - but they are quiet and shy and easily overlooked. So I wasn't too surprised when I did not have the bird after a 30 minute search this morning. About to head home I run into Chuck LaRue, and after exchanging pleasantries Chuck notices the bird about six feet away from us! This was a few minutes after noon and the bird was in the first twiggy tree east of the apartment complex entrance on Litzler.
10 Feb 2019, 2:24 PM,
It primaries look a bit worn and slightly faded...
10 Feb 2019, 3:02 PM,
Shaula and I decided to take up the Sapsucker Slam/Sapsucker Superfecta Challenge:

Mountainaire 11:24 am

Mountainaire 11:48 am

University Heights 12:37 pm

University Heights 1:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Red-breasted Sapsucker--Grand Canyon Village Canyonbirder 1 612 23 Dec 2017, 1:03 PM
Last Post: John Coons
  Flagstaff yard sapsucker: Yellow-bellied? Weird Red-naped? Hybrid? jawilder 2 847 30 Oct 2017, 9:03 AM
Last Post: jawilder
  Flagstaff Rose-breasted Grosbeak jawilder 8 2,830 10 May 2017, 4:07 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Red- breasted Sapsucker? nopoint 3 1,604 21 Dec 2016, 8:38 AM
Last Post: tshedwall
  Red-breasted Sapsucker in Prescott fplguerrero 0 1,118 14 Oct 2016, 7:18 AM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Flagstaff lakes: Red-breasted mergansers, Bonaparte's Gull jawilder 1 1,285 1 Apr 2016, 6:05 PM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Red-breasted Sapsucker, Prescott fplguerrero 0 942 27 Jan 2016, 7:56 PM
Last Post: fplguerrero
  Red-breasted Sapsucker, Prescott fplguerrero 4 2,616 18 Dec 2015, 7:43 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Red-breasted sapsucker continues in Page Gerry 0 1,158 23 Jan 2015, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Gerry
  Possible Red-breasted Sapsucker hybrid in west Flagstaff Zack Zdinak 4 3,593 21 Nov 2012, 5:44 PM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak