Pine nesting Western Bluebirds
28 Jun 2019, 7:00 AM,
Pine nesting Western Bluebirds
Birders,

Here at the family cabin in Pine, Western Bluebirds are nesting for the third time in the same nest box.  I assume this is the same nesting pair.  The first two clutches had three eggs each, and all hatched successfully.  I noticed activity in the box again last weekend, and I counted five more eggs! I have often noted them nesting twice in the same box, but never three times.  I was waiting to clean out the box, thinking they might not re-nest if the old one is not cleaned out, but the bluebirds just pile new grasses on top of the used nest and don't seem to mind.  Has anyone ever experienced this?  Maybe they are taking advantage of the cooler, wetter weather this spring/summer?

Thanks,

Brian Ison
lwrkenai@cox.net
28 Jun 2019, 9:22 PM,
RE: Pine nesting Western Bluebirds
Triple broods are suspected in several species but difficult to document accurately. As you note: it is assumed to be the same breeding pair. Western Bluebirds often have nest helpers, and initiate breeding early in spring, so are excellent candidates for multiple broods under favorable conditions. I have noticed that some individual pairs (of several species) seem to really 'get the hang of it' and can fledge second broods with remarkable speed and efficiency, so why not a third?
29 Jun 2019, 11:01 AM,
[attachment=20054 Wrote:Roger pid='22941' dateline='1561782151']Triple broods are suspected in several species but difficult to document accurately. As you note: it is assumed to be the same breeding pair. Western Bluebirds often have nest helpers, and initiate breeding early in spring, so are excellent candidates for multiple broods under favorable conditions. I have noticed that some individual pairs (of several species) seem to really 'get the hang of it' and can fledge second broods with remarkable speed and efficiency, so why not a third?
Thanks Roger.  Interesting that the pair didn't wait until I cleaned out the nest box this time.  I have seen a juvenile close to the box, so possibly a nest helper from an earlier brood?  It has been fun to watch the male defend the nest, dive-bombing squirrels and even flying aggressively at people as we watch from the cabin deck! Smile

Attached Files Image(s)

29 Jun 2019, 11:20 AM,
(29 Jun 2019, 11:01 AM)BCIson Wrote: Interesting that the pair didn't wait until I cleaned out the nest box this time.  I have seen a juvenile close to the box, so possibly a nest helper from an earlier brood?  It has been fun to watch the male defend the nest, dive-bombing squirrels and even flying aggressively at people as we watch from the cabin deck! Smile

When they are of a mind, they waste no time. Lesser Goldfinch ♀s will rebuild and lay the second clutch as soon as young are out of the nest, with the ♂ feeding them away from the nest while she incubates. Anna's Hummingbirds will build a new nest while still feeding young in the first nest. I noted one ANHU ♀ begin sitting on the new nest the same day her first brood fledged. Towhees will aggressively chase the first brood away from the nest, but then enjoy a lengthy relationship with the second fledglings. Different strategies to maximize success. Fun stuff.
6 Jul 2019, 4:38 PM,
Juvenile Western Bluebird helping to feed the five nestlings today; they have been in the box at least two weeks so should be fledging any day!

Attached Files Image(s)

6 Jul 2019, 6:38 PM,
Thanks TI haven’t seen the female for quite a while.  Looks like
only the juvenile and the adult male are feeding the nestlings. I hope this works out.
7 Jul 2019, 5:47 AM,
Great observations and image. Thanks for the followup!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nesting begins Roger 1 612 24 Feb 2018, 6:50 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Bonito Prairie: McCOWN'S LONGSPURS, EASTERN BLUEBIRDS erh36 0 642 21 Nov 2017, 9:05 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Nesting California Condors at Navajo Bridge Troy Corman 0 993 13 Jun 2017, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Troy Corman
  hairy woodpecker nesting richarmstrong 2 1,128 14 May 2016, 8:48 PM
Last Post: richarmstrong
  Nesting Chickadee rockitart 0 968 28 Apr 2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: rockitart
  Pine cabin and Pine Cr. Canyon birds BCIson 0 1,413 13 Apr 2014, 5:54 PM
Last Post: BCIson
  Navajo County: EASTERN BLUEBIRDS, Dippers, etc. erh36 4 2,753 26 Jan 2014, 5:55 PM
Last Post: erh36
  Post-Nesting Dispersal: Recent Yardbirds rauler 1 1,453 1 Aug 2013, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Mark Stevenson
  Nesting ravens and kestrels, Clear Creek sleeper 1 1,431 17 Mar 2013, 2:04 PM
Last Post: Roger
  Nesting Hummingbird Akitaslvr 0 897 20 Apr 2012, 9:33 AM
Last Post: Akitaslvr