Rufousless??
11 Jul 2019, 5:03 PM,
Rufousless??
I am wondering what others are seeing regarding the numbers of Rufous Hummingbirds showing up at feeders in the Flagstaff area to this point this year (11 July 2019).  So far this year we have not seen a single one at our feeders when typically they are numerous by now.
11 Jul 2019, 5:14 PM,
RE: Rufousless??
1. not flaggstaff, but we had 1 male rufous 2 days ago here in west sedona and it is already gone
2. i am not getting any reports from anyone here in verde valley
3. just a reminder the sedona hummingbird festival will be aug 2-3-4.
4. we will have hummingbird banding in our yard friday aug 2nd 8-12 - FREE and all are invited.
rich armstrong
928-282-3675
11 Jul 2019, 9:06 PM,
Several feeders in West Sedona, no migrants yet.
11 Jul 2019, 9:47 PM,
I had a single Rufous pass through my yard yesterday. I've had relatively typical Broad-tailed activity in my neighborhood but have rarely seen them at the feeders this year. Your observations also fit nicely with my theory of the hummingbirds and the bees: In the 20 years or so that I've been keeping bees, Shaula and I have noticed a negative correlation between hummingbird feeder activity and honey production. The years when it is total mayhem at the feeders have been poor years for honey production. The good honey years correspond to relatively light activity at the feeders. I have a small sample size of beehives in the Flagstaff area right now, but this has been an unusual year in that the bees have been making honey all Spring and continue to do so now. There is normally a dearth of nectar between when the fruit trees finish blooming and when the Monsoon rains kick the later flowers into gear. So our theory is that when there is an abundance of natural nectar -- like there is now-- the hummingbirds can ignore our feeders.
11 Jul 2019, 10:00 PM,
Good numbers of black-chinned at my feeders, but I have yet to see a migrant Selasphorus of any kind.
13 Jul 2019, 12:19 PM,
(11 Jul 2019, 10:00 PM)Roger Wrote: Good numbers of black-chinned at my feeders, but I have yet to see a migrant Selasphorus of any kind.

I have been in Texas for a couple of weeks, but I did notice 1 Rufous Hummingbird male at my yard feeder in West Flagstaff yesterday, 7/12/19. I have not seen it since, however.

Usually, by this time of the year, I  have several hanging around my yard.

I have had a couple of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds and one beautiful Anna's male hanging around for the past month or so.

Gary
13 Jul 2019, 4:05 PM,
heard one at Desert View on 7/2, but that's it so far up here. I've been wondering where they are too...
15 Jul 2019, 6:59 AM,
I was away the last few days of June and early July, but in my yard I had a single male show up on June 20, followed by a female a few days later. Reviewing my camera trap for the time I was traveling shows that one male persisted in my yard until the battery on the camera died. I've still got one male hanging around, so it could be the same guy who showed up on June 20 and never left. So, despite a very early arrival of a couple birds, Rufous numbers are WAY below average for me.

FWIW, Anna's Hummingbirds seem to be having a banner year in my yard.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
15 Jul 2019, 8:23 AM,
(13 Jul 2019, 12:19 PM)gbotello Wrote:
(11 Jul 2019, 10:00 PM)Roger Wrote: Good numbers of black-chinned at my feeders, but I have yet to see a migrant Selasphorus of any kind.

I have been in Texas for a couple of weeks, but I did notice 1 Rufous Hummingbird male at my yard feeder in West Flagstaff yesterday, 7/12/19. I have not seen it since, however.

Usually, by this time of the year, I  have several hanging around my yard.

I have had a couple of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds and one beautiful Anna's male hanging around for the past month or so.

Gary
The male Roufous Hummingbird seems to have taken summer residence in my yard. It is now chasing all other hummers around my yard.

I also saw 2 Rufous Hummingbirds (male & female) at Wilson Meadow on 7/14/19.

Gary
16 Jul 2019, 12:17 PM,
A friend in Kanab reports very few hummingbirds at his feeders as well.
16 Jul 2019, 6:01 PM,
There was a Facebook thread today about lack of hummingbirds at feeders from Zion National Park, Alpine AZ, and the Silver City NM area. Also some anecdotal support for the theory that the birds are focused on flowers instead of feeders right now.
16 Jul 2019, 8:05 PM,
I don't know what conditions are on the breeding grounds, but if they are as lush as they are here, I was wondering if lots were remaining behind to breed a second time.
17 Jul 2019, 6:42 AM,
where was this thread on FB?  we still have yet to have a single Rufous Hummingbird at our feeders this summer.
17 Jul 2019, 8:15 AM,
(17 Jul 2019, 6:42 AM)Chuck LaRue Wrote: where was this thread on FB?  we still have yet to have a single Rufous Hummingbird at our feeders this summer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdinga...247100512/
17 Jul 2019, 12:22 PM,
We had a male Rufous show up at our feeder July 1 or 2 and continue off-and-on til now. In typical years, a male Rufous guards and dominates a feeder almost continuously; this year, one shows up briefly to feed, then seems to disappear for a day or two. Had a female on 7/4, but haven't seen her since.
17 Jul 2019, 7:01 PM,
To illustrate the strikingly low numbers of hummingbirds at our place this year compared to recent years, over the past 8 years in mid July I had been putting out a half to one gallon of sugar water per day in mid July to keep up with the numbers of hummingbirds (the peak in early August had me putting out 2.5 gallons of sugar water per day in 6 to 8 feeders). Currently I have two feeders up and the daily consumption rate is about 1/4 cup between the two of them.
19 Jul 2019, 6:27 AM,
We've had a burst of hummingbird activity at our feeders in Mountainaire yesterday evening and this morning. I think there are a couple different female Rufous, possibly an immature male Rufous, and more Broad-tailed activity too. Still no adult male Rufous though.
A second feeder, which has been totally ignored since we put it up a month or so ago, is now being visited regularly. Time to stock up on sugar!
19 Jul 2019, 6:51 AM,
Tom, in the past day we had an uptick too. Yesterday nearly a full cup of sugar water was consumed (up from the about 1/4 cup/day for the past month+). Yesterday an immature male Black-chinned showed up and brand new this morning is one (an possibly two) adult male Rufous.