Poll: Should this site continue?
I want it and I want it better. Count me in!
I don't care enough to change it. Let it be.
Meh. It's been fun but I've moved on.
[Show Results]
This poll will close on: 11 Aug 2019

Should this website continue?
12 Jul 2019, 6:25 PM,

In one form or another, this forum has been online for nearly two decades, a light-year in internet technology. Entire Social media platforms have come and gone, cell phones have appeared in every pocket, and eBird has streamlined many birders' workflow. Despite a few upgrades, the software that this forum is based on (MyBB), has failed to keep up. A modern version with enhancements for the small screen has been promised for more than a year but remains a "work in progress". Meanwhile, regular users of this forum have declined.

I run this site out of pocket - not a lot of money and not a lot of time - but the switch to a new platform would cost a few hundred $ and quite a bit of time to get all the old data converted.

And so the questions;

1. Should this website continue?
  2. Are there features that would make this site more relevant, compelling or useful to you?
  3. Most importantly, do you care enough to take $5 or $10 out of your own pocket to improve this forum?
12 Jul 2019, 7:26 PM,
RE: Should this website continue?
While a lot of the rare bird info is available from other sources these days, I would be very happy to contribute to keep reading items of local interest such as Tom Hedwall's recent post on bees and nectar in our area.
13 Jul 2019, 8:07 AM,
Thank you for the compliment John!

I would certainly be willing to donate if you're willing to continue the site. It seems like it fills a niche that Ebird and some of the Facebook sites don't.

It seems a shame to lose the old data, but I wonder if it's worth your time to convert it all to a new system? I occasionally read and enjoy old posts -- like when people were really excited about a Cackling Goose in Flagstaff. Do you have an idea how often the older stuff is accessed?

As far as additional features go: I hate to suggest that everything needs a "like" button, but it's often hard to tell if people are interested in a post. Lots of "views" but no "replies" for example. Some simple way of showing interest might encourage more posting.

Thanks for doing this!

Tom
13 Jul 2019, 12:26 PM,
(13 Jul 2019, 8:07 AM)tshedwall Wrote: Thank you for the compliment John!

I would certainly be willing to donate if you're willing to continue the site. It seems like it fills a niche that Ebird and some of the Facebook sites don't.

It seems a shame to lose the old data, but I wonder if it's worth your time to convert it all to a new system? I occasionally read and enjoy old posts -- like when people were really excited about a Cackling Goose in Flagstaff. Do you have an idea how often the older stuff is accessed?

As far as additional features go: I hate to suggest that everything needs a "like" button, but it's often hard to tell if people are interested in a post. Lots of "views" but no "replies" for example. Some simple way of showing interest might encourage more posting.

Thanks for doing this!

Tom

I would be willing to contribute to keep it going...

It is a great source for local bird sightings and I have learned so much over the years from postings on this website.

I also do not participate in social media.

Count me in.

Gary
13 Jul 2019, 4:06 PM,
I'm happy to chip in too.
13 Jul 2019, 5:11 PM,
I suspect that if it was easier to post photos and audio files (e.g., some sort of drag-and-drop function) this site would get more traffic. This is still a GREAT forum for posts of birds of regional interest, with more discussion and detail possible than on competing platforms.

Also, thanks, Roger, for maintaining this site for so many years. Regardless of the future, it has been a great service to the NAz birding community. Speaking personally, this site was instrumental in getting me up to speed on the birds (and birders!) of the region when I moved here 10 years ago, and I'm very grateful for that.

Jason
Flagstaff, AZ
19 Jul 2019, 6:18 AM,
I look at it most days and have for many years. I think it's a valuable resource, educational and fun. I would contribute. Thanks Roger all your wonderful work.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flagstaff Cedar Waxwings Continue... gbotello 1 1,812 23 Feb 2012, 3:15 PM
Last Post: gbotello
  Cameron Ruddy Ground-Dove, American Redstart continue Canyonbirder 3 1,719 2 Nov 2011, 8:27 AM
Last Post: Tom Linda
  Geese/Eurasian Wigeon continue Tom Linda 3 1,734 7 Dec 2007, 7:50 AM
Last Post: Zack Zdinak
  Waterfowl continue at Lakes Mary elaine 0 1,027 18 Mar 2006, 3:05 PM
Last Post: elaine
  Sparrows Continue at Willow Bend prather 0 1,457 16 Dec 2005, 10:05 PM
Last Post: prather
  Just Ducky....Swans Continue prather 0 1,530 8 Dec 2005, 9:16 AM
Last Post: prather